CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Problems with A/M plastics.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with A/M plastics.

So I bought a plastics kit, used... The tail, front fender, side pieces fit great, much to my surprise. But the front piece around the headlight makes up for it.

The vents dont snap in like the OEM piece. They are a little off of being flush. The bottom mount on each was broken off, and replaces with a nut glued on. If you guessd that this nut broke off, you would be right.

The piece de resistance. The headlight mount. First.. on the OEM piece one of the metal inserts in the lower mount must have come loose and is just spinning, so I cannot get the old one out. On the new piece... The 2 upper mounts for the headlight. are completely missing.

I am not sure what to do from here, any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:22 PM

I bought an aftermarket ebay front fairing and painted it to replace the cracked front on my F4 when I first bought it. I remember the fitment for the air intake ducts to be horrible. You just have to carefully force the ducts into the fairing, I had to do a bit of trimming on all of the tabs if I recall to make it fit (it is close but not perfect).

My headlight fit fine, again with a bit of nudging, but the screw sizes were different so I had to buy some new hardware to make it work.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Well my problem isn't the ducts per se. They fit it. They just don't snap in due to the holes being a bit off. Once the cowl was on the bike they were snug. A little tweaking and they will be solid. My main issue is the 2 top mounts for the headlight on the cowl itself. They aren't there. I think I am going to get some plastic dowel, do some light plastic welding. and have a flush mount / countersunk (and afterwards paint matched) screw through the front of the cowl.
Here she is thus far. Doing some more test fitting.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Love the repsol kit, are you going to paint the tank black to match?

I think plastic welding may be your only option as you said, but I have no experience doing anything like that. How strong would it be? The headlight is pretty heavy - good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:24 AM

Tank will be painted orange with black decals, as well at some point the wheels will be painted (probably powder coated) orange.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 AM

if you get it plastic welded by someone who knows what they are doing, besides needing to be painted it will be like it never had a hole in it

Old 05-12-2010, 02:31 AM

there isnt a hole. it looks like the mounts were glued on (go chinese kit!) and the glue just broke off.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM

if the Welding doesn't hold you could always get a Front cowl from Delkevic and have it painted when you paint the tank. Shouldn't be much (if any) more $ since your doing the tank anyways. I know those Chinese kits look nice because they are pre finished but I'm going to spring for a new tailpiece for my wife's 99 in the fall and I'm going with Delkevic no question.

Psy

Old 05-13-2010, 04:58 PM

ghetto but might work - little high strength two-part epoxy and the correct sized nuts to the inside of front fairing in the appropriate place (mock up light to site nuts?)