CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Potent oders

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potent oders

Hey whats up everyone! I just moved to Phoenix and my CBR just recently before I moved out starting omitting a real strong gasoline smell. Me personally I don't mine it. I like the smell but my new room mate is not to fond of it. And every time I open the garage door the order hordes its way into the place and "Reeks".

Is this normal? There are no gas leaks of the sort at all anywhere on the bike. Just took it in and got it serviced. I don't know what to say. If anyone has any ideas let me know! Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Default RE: Potent oders

Well you moved somewhere hot, what I suspect the cause would be is evap fumes as a result of the heat. I live in cali and my garage has a definate smell of fuel through the summer and to a much less degree in the winter. If there are no fuel leaks I suspect that's your issue. You may also want to check the seal aroubnd your fuel filler. Good luck to ya.....and why are you rooming with anyone that doesn't like the smell of fuel.....bet they don't like the smell of leather either...obsurd

Old 08-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Alright as it turns out I started taking all my fairings off so could give my bike its first real cleaing since I bought it. In hopes that i could wash the sweet smell away. Well, when I got down in close under the gas tank I noticed a part slightly covered in gasoline.

It comes directly out of the bottem of the tank. Then a hose goes from that to the fuel filter. And it only leaks while the bike is running. I think but am not sure that part only serves as a gas shut off going to the filter so you can completely take the tank off. I'm not sure though. Here are some pics of it.

My question now is. Am I going to have to replace it or is it something that I can fix easily myself?

[IMG]local://upfiles/26151/41FCC6179DD54A22B82C1F52391AE73E.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26151/25B41173FFB443B596CF915F9A571977.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26151/D9165238B5DF414F814271EFBF8659D8.gif[/IMG]

Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 PM

what year is your bike? I have a 00 and I am pretty sure i dont have a fuel switch? at least I have never seen or used it

Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM

My bike is an '00. Just like yours. Mach9 was talking about sealing for a fuel filler. I am assuming thats what the part is. Although I am not sure. But none the less it is a switch for something. Pics don't lie none.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:01 PM

I have a 2000, and have the fuel shutoff pictured. Its not a reserve, just a shutoff. Look closely, im sure you have one also( its kinda deep under the tank)

Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The item in the picture you have posted is in fact the fuel shut off. When it is straight up or down the fuel is on. If you have the switch pointed to the side then the fuel is off. It might be the seal in the fuel shut off is gone. Drain the tank, take the tank off and change the switch out and that might solve the problem.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets try this for a third time. The pic is of the fuel shut off valve. When u have the switch straight up or down the fuel in on. If the switch is to the side then it is off. The seal might be gone in the valve so drain the tank and replace.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Problem solved for those who would like to know. The cause of the leak is an O-ring that was not holding its seal. So a brand new O-ring for the price of $3.23 and a little sweat on my brow fixed the problem. But oh wait! I stumbled across another one. The hose that you see coming from the fuel filler was dry rotted and in an attempt to unhook it from the fuel filter it snapped cracked and popped into two pieces leaving me in a hurry to get the fuel gushing out into my gas can.

So after a five minutes or so of draining the rest of the gasoline in the gas can. I went down to autozone and picked up a none molded hose that fits perfectly and solved that problem.

Now I have a huge brown stain that goes down the frame on the left side of my bike from the gasoline. Are there any cleaning solutions to get rid of that stain? Or would I just have to get the frame polished out to rid it of the nasty looking stain? I will post pictures of it later.