CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Pics.. How do i clean this part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics.. How do i clean this part?

I've never dissassembled to take off the head, and see this. Is it just carbon? and how do I clean this off. Also, I need advice on installing my new head, what should I do to prep,
-what to soak to clean and with what product , how to clean combustion chambers?
-what product do i soak the camshafts in?

Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Default RE: Pics.. How do i clean this part?

I usually use carb cleaner and a fine brass wire brush but you couls use a stiff plastic bristle brush too.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:17 AM

Old toothbrush and carb cleaner to clean the piston tops.
You need a new headgasket, don't soak the cams in anything, but coat the tops of the buckets, the lobes, and the journals with moly.
When you torque the headbolts down coat the threads in moly.
Make sure the mating surfaces are clean too, a little rock chip or something in there when you're torquing things down will really ruin your day.

Also, don't go too crazy with the moly, if you dump a whole tube in there it can slicken your clutch beyond use, but a small amount will just dissolve in oil and you'll never even notice it was there.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 AM

there is some stuff that comes in a gallon can. I cant remember what its called, but go to a real auto parts store( not autozone) and tell them you need to soak
your pistons/valves and such to get rid of the carbon.

when I rebuilt my last bike, it had some much carbon built up on the chambers that it was pinging from pre-detonation. there was no way you were gonna scrub and chip. so I soaked it in that stuff overnight, came out almost as clean as brand new.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:29 AM

i got the cleaning done, now i have to put the camshafts back in and check my clearance.. the cleaning took a lot of scrub and soak , the pic is the cleanest one, the other 3 were black