CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Noob needs a gear list

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noob needs a gear list

Totally new to road bikes, not afraid to say it, I'd rather be mocked than be a squid mark on the highway. Bought a 99 F4 today, it's a rebuild but had a detailed history with no horror stories. Still, My experience on my 80cc kx from 14 years ago isn't helping me with much beyond basic controls. So, the only thing that isn't gravy with the bike so far is the horn. It's makes the feintist of noises for a short time before it dies all together. Lights all work fine and the starter sounds mint so I'm slow to think it's just a flat batt. But this is probably one of those noob things that I'm going to understand by tomorrow. More importantly though, What kind of gear should I be assembling for my home maintenance kit. I live in an apartment with underground parking so I can't really start collecting tools at this point, but what am I going to want to go get first before I find out I need it? voltmeter? center stand? cleaning supplies? fuses? Haynes manual? (well duhh) If any of you could imbibe me with some tricks I'd be grateful.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 AM
Default RE: Noob needs a gear list

The Haynes manual is good... I've brought them for all of my vehicles. IIRC I have a claymor instead of a Haynes for the the F4, which covers the F4, F4i and the Euro FSport (F4i with F4 tail as far as I can tell), and the F4i American model from 2004-> with the F4 tail as well.

Tools. A basic set of METRIC hex, phillips screw drivers (3 good quality ones are going to save your *** in the long run), a set of basic metric sockets (8, 10, 21,27 and maybe a couple more in the 8-10 range) The 21/27 are for the rear axle nut. Consult the manual to be sure, but I *think* that's what they are. After that - you can strip most of the bike. There are some specialty tools, but that's a good starting point.

As for the horn. It is laughable anyhow. I'm considering buying one of those $60 air-horn kits.

Voltometer is good - just remember that batteries with NO load are hard to measure...
Battery Tender or good habits in the winter will keep the battery good for years. (For the apartment dwellers, pop the battery off your bike, bring it into your storage closet, put it in a sturdy container/platform... and charge it frequently with low amperage. A flat battery dies... a flat frozen battery is dead.

Buy a sturdy rear stand. The F4 does not have tap spots for a spool type stand, and paddle stands (from good companies) are just as good... I have never ever had my bike slide on a paddle stand (or swing arm stand if you wish).

If you haven't used a stand before. Put the bike on it's sidestand where you want it. The paddle/swing arm stand is shaped like an L. On the short part of the L is the paddles. Put the paddles under the swing arm. Stand on the sidestand side. Pick the bike up and support it with your leg and left hand. No need to take it to exactly straight up - let it be leaned your way, just in case. With your right hand push the paddle stand lever down until you feel it connect with the swing arm, and start to take the bikes weight. As you push down the stand will support the bike and your leg/left arm are now free to let go of the bike. Push the stand all the way down and she's now up. Done. Sounds difficult, good to have a friend the first few times, but really is a solo project once you're comfortable. To let it down ease the stand's lever up until the rear tire is about to touch the ground. Put your left hand on the seat and support the bike upright. Put the stand all the way down - and now ignore the stand. Let the bike down onto the sidestand gently. Again - you can support the bike with your left leg as you do this, as your right hand will be tied up for awhile letting the stand down and it's better for the bike to fall towards the sidestand than away (you have a good chance of catching it).

That's the basic kit... after that - it depends what you get into.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 AM

One other thing about underground parking.

Park it in front of your car if you can, and run a HEAVY chain around the wheels and around a pillar. Then cover it with a heat resistant cover at all times. This stops people sitting on it, and hides what it is. The less people know, the less curious they are. Often the people that steal **** aren't the people that live their, but their "friends" whoget in legitametly or tail them in through an open door. Once they're in they can get out by tripping the door from the inside.

Try and ask the super to put you in a parking spot that the security cameras watch- the new building I'm moving to as 2 CCTVs that the residents can watch on their TVs and a handful that the building only can watch. I've choosen my spot to be just outside the residentsview so I can see people walk past my spot AND it is in full view of the buildings "secret" cameras. I didn't ask where the secret cameras were, I just asked which spots can he see clearly on his view, and that I wanted to park there. He understood bikers so that was easy.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:44 AM

I thought you were asking about riding gear... so I will say get gear n wear it. A helmet, good gloves, a good jacket (leather is the best), at least some sort of riding pants (again leather is best), and riding specific boots.

+1 on the tools mentioned, a pair of stands are nice too, I didnt see em list.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya I think gear, as gear, and tools as tools...

get a good helmet, not a cheapo, a decent pair of gloves or they wont last(I bought cheapos and they didnt last)

and a stand is almost a must just to lube the chain...you can do it without one but so much easier with one. and woot did a good job explaing how to use a rear swingarm stand, I always stand on the opposite side of the kickstand that way if it tries to tip it just hits me(which happened last week...)I got t-rex stands off ebay and they are actually pretty good, and a good price. I just used my front stand for the first time the other day also...

the only tools i really use are the tools in the tool kit...and my air gun

Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 AM

Hey thanks so much for your responses guys. Sounds about right. I'm getting my jacket, pants, and gloves tomorrow. The other stuff I'll probably hold off on until her first oil change (fairly soon) You should be happy to hear that today was my first day riding her. My first day riding a street bike at all actually. Incredible! The first time I let the clutch out all my 10 yr old bike memories came flooding back. She handles amazingly, although the short throw on the clutch really forced me to get sensitive fast. Stalled her a couple times, forgot to turn the blinker off a BUNCH, had a few squid turns where I used all the lanes, but kept it safe, didn't go above 110 Km/h (which felt like 60), and had an amazing time. It's true what everyone has said, way more a part of the road, and had such an awesome sense of freedom. I'm totally hooked. Unfortunately my buddy had to go back to the island tonight, so now I'm hunting for a supervisor so I can get out again. (I'll be cheating in 1st and 2nd on my street without a doubt.)

But seriously...WOW... Buying a motorcycle..... [sm=goodidea.gif]

Just thinking about all the stuff I have to learn makes me giddy, It's like I've had her for years, but we're just getting to know each other, super weird feeling. Anyway, thank you guys for being such an awesome community, I felt like every other biker had my back out there, truly unique.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 AM

Oh and the horn, I think last night I just hadn't juiced the battery because I got a good sound out of it this morning (well...it beeped) unfortunately I think the horn switch is duffed, felt really sketchy/broken, and stopped working all together for most of the day (not so cool), but there you go, I've already got a project I think I can tackle (with all you help of course [sm=yeahsmile.gif] )