CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

No power when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power when hot.

By power I mean battery power. Bike starts and runs fine, once it gets hot... Like around when the cooling fan kicks on. Bike won't have the juice to run and will stahl. Let the bike sit for about 30 min and youre good to go. So I did the usual tests. Bike off battery has 12.9 volts. Bike running it has 13.5 volts. So to me the charging system is working. Before joining I ran google searches and found that a stator can work good until it reaches temperature then stops charging the battery. So I replaced the stator today and its still doing same thing. Heres the weird part, after it dies, battery voltage will be around 12.3 but leave the meter on it and you can watch the voltage rise all the way back up to 12.9 with bike off .... Its charging from the air! The only other thing I can think of is the amp hour on the battery is too low and can't handle the load of the bike but it has an 9ah battery in it which was recommended. Any ideas?

** actually its more like 13.8 and up. at idle its 13.8v revving it take it to about 14v but when I let off the gas for a brief moment it will climb as high as 14.5. im guessing those missing .5 volts while revving is being drawn by the bike and is common?

Last edited by Here2Ride; 05-21-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Here2Ride
By power I mean battery power. Bike starts and runs fine, once it gets hot... Like around when the cooling fan kicks on. Bike won't have the juice to run and will stahl. Let the bike sit for about 30 min and youre good to go. So I did the usual tests. Bike off battery has 12.9 volts. Bike running it has 13.5 volts. So to me the charging system is working. Before joining I ran google searches and found that a stator can work good until it reaches temperature then stops charging the battery. So I replaced the stator today and its still doing same thing. Heres the weird part, after it dies, battery voltage will be around 12.3 but leave the meter on it and you can watch the voltage rise all the way back up to 12.9 with bike off .... Its charging from the air! The only other thing I can think of is the amp hour on the battery is too low and can't handle the load of the bike but it has an 9ah battery in it which was recommended. Any ideas?

** actually its more like 13.8 and up. at idle its 13.8v revving it take it to about 14v but when I let off the gas for a brief moment it will climb as high as 14.5. im guessing those missing .5 volts while revving is being drawn by the bike and is common?
You didn’t say if your battery was known to be good. Pb-acid batteries will draw down and then recover because they involve a time dependent chemical reaction. I’d try that first.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:00 AM

Its a sealed lead acid. Doesnt even have a vent on it, its new this season and reads 12.9 volts before starting the bike.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked all connections? Loose electrical connections can get worse as they heat up.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:11 PM

All connections are clean and tight, what is the diode inside the little fuse box for?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The diode acts as a link between the clutch,neutral and sidestand

Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 AM

So now i have a new stator, R&R and a new Yuasa battery. the one I had before was a cheaper chinese battery from Ebay I went and bought a name brand one just to be sure today. I ran the stator test and R&R test both are good and most likely didnt need replaced (arghhh) and I checked all connections from the stator to the R&R then the R&R to the battery and ground and everything was tight and corrosion free. This is probably why I got the bike so cheap.... the ***** **** *** knew this and didnt tell me. I dont know what else to do.

Can we move this to a more popular thread since its not necessarily f4 related?

Im thinking now, maybe there is a short in the harness that drawing more amps than the stator can keep up with? my current volt meter doesnt read dc amps. im going to buy one. how can I test how much the bike is drawing and maybe someone here can do the same so I can compare.

Last edited by Here2Ride; 05-24-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Have a look at this, testing for parasitic Drain, there are other Videos and write ups

Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM

That guy is talking about a good battery dying overnight, mine dies while running with a good charging system.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

That was an example, thats why I said there are other videos and write ups,

Quick Reply: No power when hot.