CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New to F4i - Need help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to F4i - Need help PLEASE

I purchased my first CBR 600F4i over the winter. It is a 2001 with only 800 miles. It has been settting idle for the last 3 years. I have not even started it yet. What do you suggest I do to get this thing running other than charging the battery. This is all new to me so any help you can provide will be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your help!

James

Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned
Default RE: New to F4i - Need help PLEASE

Take the tank off, drain any gasoline and have a shop remove any rust that may have built up. Change the air filter, clean the carbs...

Wait a minute - you have an F4i or an F4? The F4i's are fuel injected so if that's what you've got you're in the wrong forum and skip the cleaning the carbs part, haha.

You might wanna have the valves checked unless you can do it. Replace the plugs, chain and sprockets. You might wanna lube the throttle/clutch cables. Change the oil and filter and when you do get an extra quart of oil and after the old is drained completely, run that extra quart through it and let it drain to help remove any gunk that may have built up.

Check your tires. They'll probably need replaced - surely they're weathered and/or cupping from sitting so long.

That should be about it, if anyone else can think of something feel free to add it. Good luck to you and post up some pictures if ya can!

Old 04-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Sorry, I realized I was in the wrong forum. Forgive my ignorance as i am totally new to this. Thanks you for the input!!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:39 PM

I wouldn't go running any extra oil through it to clean out the system, you run the risk of blowing seals thanks to increased oil preassure there. If you're gonna you should run it with the correct oil level, but do an oil change soon, much like you would do with running in a new bike. You wanna be careful and don't go blowing seals cos that's a costly avenue.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:44 PM

[align=left]Sorry, just re-read what you said above.With running the extra quart through the bike did you mean as in putting it into the system and then draining it back out without running the bike? Or did you actually mean to add in an extra quart and run the bike with the extra oil? Cos at first I thought you meant with an extra quart but then I re-read what you said.
[/align][align=right] [/align]