CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New F4 owner, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F4 owner, a few questions

After selling my 1000F Hurricane and not riding for several months, I bought a '00 F4 w/ 16K miles. The bike handles much better than the Hurricane. Mechanically the bike is in good shape except chain and tires.

-Will a 108 link chain fit the bike with stock gearing or is a 110 necessary?

-To avoid being stranded, should I carry around a spare R/R and spare fuel pump? Anything else that should always be carried?

-The cam chain isn't noisy right now, but if it becomes an issue is there any point in replacing with a stock spring tension CCT or is a properly adjusted manual tension really that much better?

-For riders who have upgraded to an aftermarker (larger) windscreen, did you regret the upgrade? I'm considering this since I ride the bike on the highway for long distances and stock doesn't provide much wind protection unless tucked. Any recommendations on brand?

Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM

I can't answer 1 and 2 but for 3 I would say it depends how long you plan to keep the bike. The stock CCT last 20-30k miles I think, will you keep it longer than that?

My F4 came with a tinted double bubble screen and it's spot on. I accidentally (see my speedo thread) hit 105mph on a private road the other day and was leaned down but not properly tucked in, and was impressed. The only thing I would be careful of is the stock screen has a nice Honda logo on it and none of the replacements do, which I think detracts from the looks slightly. My double bubble screen has a Honda transfer on it that works quite well, but unfortunately the screen is scratched and needs replacing.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 PM

cant look at chain links now, dont know about that. what i can tell you is, things i carry extra that have left me stranded before are=extra r/r, (went bad due to bad connection, later fixed wires and no prob since) i still carry an extra anyway. also i carry an extra gear shifter arm, pedal and tie rod (gear shifter arm broke on the road before) wasnt stranded but only had 1st gear on the way home and it sucked. i carry a lot of other extra parts, fuses, relays, switches and such but, thats just me. ive never been broken down for any other reason other than two times stated above. you should be good though, i mean not to be a smart *** but, its kinda hard for us to be able to tell when a part is about to go bad on our bikes all the time...i wish. but yeah, you should be good if you carry extra r/r and fuses and stuff like that.

lol, i carry way too much for some people, i have every single (and i mean every single one, diodes, relays, starter switch, tps switch, ignition switch base ect) electrical component spare in my book bag except a timing/ cam sensor, cdi unit and clutch perch switch those are the only parts i dont have yet and im ordering them soon, lol. also i carry clutch and throttle cables, tire plug and c02 kit. also every tool id need to make a road side repair. also for long touring road trips i take an extra water pump and my f4 shop manual. because im not having a road trip turn into a nightmare when i can carry parts, fix it and be back on the road to finish my road trip in minutes. again thats just me. some people would rather call a triple a wrecker and get a tow back home. oh well, to each his/ her own.

Last edited by cBrentb; 05-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.