CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

New to the CBR 600 F4: questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the CBR 600 F4: questions

Hi Folks.

I just got a 1999 CBR 600 F4. The problem is I don't have an owner's manual and I've not owned a sport bike before. I just got it delivered and charged the battery and have not started it yet as there is snow on the ground here in NH.

What's the kindest way to start this thing? I've had a Rebel 250 before and the procedure was just like the MSF course and nothing special; turn fuel valve, put in neutral, full chock, turn on, etc. and when warm start lowering the choke until off. On the CBR F4 should I do any revving to get it to warm up better?

Also, is there a fuel valve I need to turn on the CBR F4. It doesn't look like it.

I see there is a fuel indicator. If this thing thing comes on, how much fuel is supposed to be left in the tank?

This bike may not see any real riding until Spring so I'm thinking of adding some Stabil to the tank. How much do you add? I'm not sure the previous owner added any; is adding too much bad?

Looking forward to riding this bike this Spring.

Thanks,

Dennis

Old 12-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Default RE: New to the CBR 600 F4: questions

Hi Dennis,

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...2899-00%29.pdf

thats where I downloaded the owners manual from.
as far as starting it, I started it the same way I started and bike. I usually rev it up some, but only cause I like to listen to my yoshi...lol...

Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM

That's the Service Manual (I got that one already); it's got some very useful information there too. But thanks anyway!

Dennis

Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM

There is a Fuel Valve on the bottom of the tank - up or down is ON - I never turn it off, and don't seea reason to unless you are storing it long-term.

When you turn the key on make sure that the red on/off button on the right handle bar is in the "RUN" position - that will prime the fuel pump. The choke is on the left side. I start it on full choke, and then just ease it off. Mine takes a few times when it is cold, and I usually fire it a couple times and get it going right with a small amount of throttle, and full choke. Once it is alittle warmer out I don't have any problems. Just start on FULL choke, run for a minute or so and then turn it off.

The fuel indicator is just a "reserve" light. I would be careful trusting that thing too much because there are lots of them out there that don't work.

Sea-Foam is a great additive as well as it acts as a cleaner as well as a stabilizer. Use premium, and be careful - you'll love it.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:58 PM

+1000 on the seafoam!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 PM

About the additive for the fuel, don't worry about adding too much, the manufacture will suggest an amount, which is acceptable. If you want to add more, it will simply burn off just like gasoline. ++ on the Sea Foam idea. As far as starting it, just get it going how you would any motorcycle. Another idea, pull out the battery for the winter. If the bike has any sort of draw, the battery might be dead by spring. You don't have to do it, but it is recomended by some. Another idea is to get the bike off of the tires, but not many consider this....

Peace, and have fun riding in the future.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies folks. I started her up (for the first time at my house). I forgot about the kill switch and choke (I'm so used to FI :-) ). But this gave me a chance to hear the starter; it sounded nice and strong. I took the trickle charger off about 20 hours before I tried to start it (the charger indicated green/fullCharge). This makes me confident it can hold a charge for at least 20 hours inside my garage on a cold single digit degree day outside.

Once I corrected the kill switch and choke, it fired up. I then tried to blip the throttle (3 millimeters of so to about 2000 rpm) a little and it hesitated and wanted to die so I backed off. I then let it warm up and the throttle blipping got better. Once it got to about just below horizontal on the oil temp gauge, I rev'ed it up a little more. It sounded good. I then shut her down and then tried the startup again and it started right up.

Man, this baby's going to be fun when the roads clear.

So, was that little hesitation when cold normal? I haven't had the old Rebel 250 in a year and that bike only saw the month of August so I never got to try it in cold. I know my fuel injected Vstar doesn't care how warm or cold it is it's so consistent with the throttle and response. But I don't think that's a good comparison given it's only a year old and is fuel injected.

I'm not going to trickle charge the battery; I'll then try to start it again tomorrow or next day to see that the battery is able to hold charge in the cold for that long.

So, this fuel valve someone mentioned above is just like the Vstar. The service folks shut it off when doing service. I found it's good to know where it is because I've hear many stories of people stranded because the service folks shut off the fuel valve before giving it back to the customer. It happened to me.

I'll look into getting some seafoam.

Thanks again for the responses.

Dennis

Old 12-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya it is normal for it to be less responsive when cold. Your moving from a rebel 250 to aF4? You got to start somewhere but be very careful. That F4 will make the rebel look like a girls bicycle.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 PM

I wouldnt trust any other additives besides sea foam. Ive heard some stories about other additives..for me its just top the tank off and start it up every other week

Old 12-23-2008, 06:45 AM

Ok. I'll start it every other week or so and understand it's not so crisp in response when cold.

As far as sea foam, do you folks just pour it into the tank (1 oz. per gallon I read) or do you pour it into the oil, into the carburators, into the cylinders, etc.? I read a little bit about sea foam last night and they talk about putting it in the "carburator throat", etc. I might start by just putting it in the tank as a fuel stabilizer.

Oh and no, I'm not going from Rebel 250 to 600 F4 (I'm a little nuts but not that nuts! :-)).

I took the motorcycle course/got license rode the Rebel 250 for about 500 miles (in 1 month), traded it for a Vstar 650 and rode that for 5000 miles (in 2 months), traded that for a Vstar 1300 and rode that for about 16000 miles (in 12 months) plus I'm keeping the Vstar 1300 as cruising is just plain great even if it's not so fast.

The 600F4 is to satisfy my curiosity, learn new motorcycle skills, and just play, etc. Everywhere I've read or talked to folks, they say the same thing "be very careful". I've hammered this into my head and will be taking it pretty slow for a while until I get the hang of it. I've also heard not to go faster than your skill level and will certainly keep that echoing in my head. I don't want to scratch the bike (anymore than it already is) and certainly don't want any unnecessary injuries (caused by plain puerile stupidity on my part).

Plus, I'm in my early 40s and injured and old sucks.

Thanks again folks,

Dennis

Quick Reply: New to the CBR 600 F4: questions