CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Need some help troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013 | 10:44 AM
|
Default Need some help troubleshooting

Was out riding this past weekend in some beautiful 60° January weather. Stopped at the store, started her back up, was about two blocks from home and started to lose power when she died. The starter was trying but it wasnt trying to turn itself over. I was about 100 ft from the garage and laid into the starter button and it fired up and i rode it the last 15 seconds of the trip. I parked it, turnedit off. Hit the ignition switch again. started up. I let it get back to running temp, it would not start. The time it was running it sounded a bit off. Not what it usually sounds like. I have a sneaking suspicion it is the ignition coils, as i have seen the symptoms before on cars and trucks. Not sure, and before i spent the money i wanted to get some Expert opinions. So any insight would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Old 01-21-2013 | 08:11 AM

im not an expert but did it sound like it wasnt running on all cylinders? Just different tone right?

Old 01-22-2013 | 08:33 AM
|

I mean I guess. It back fired once. But the bike is jetted according to what the previous owner told me. I actually took out this past weekend after adding some seafoam to the tank. It started and ran until it died out on me. I started it again and took it out riding. It has crappy throttle response when tryin to take off, or just revving. I may need to have the carbs checked but i was waiting to do so until i could figure out for sure.

Old 01-22-2013 | 05:53 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

Check the regulatoer/rectifier (r/r).
When they begin to fail, as they get hot the current drops.
Ignition doesn't get sufficent voltage and mis-fires.
i.e. power loss/lugging.

Check the connector to the r/r. It will often tell the story.
Look for burnt pins/melted connector any sign of excess heat.

Here's some good links to basic theory and diagnostics...

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 01-25-2013 | 03:13 PM
|

Alright, will do. Hope that is all it is. Thanks for the insight.

Old 01-28-2013 | 09:49 AM
|

I checked the R/R this weekend. The pins that connect into the unit were not burnt in any way. The yellow wires feeding into the clip connecting into the R/R did have a few black circles on them, I wasn't sure if they were supposed to look that way or not. Any clue if they are? I don't have any way to check the current flowing into the R/R so this is all I have to go off of at the moment.

Old 02-04-2013 | 08:54 AM
|

Bought a multi meter this weekend to test the R/R. Went to start the bike and the battery died on me. Checked the voltage without a load and it was 11.75 due to the 20° weather i guess. With the key on and headlights on it read 10.8. Should i go ahead and charge the battery or buy another?

Old 02-04-2013 | 01:54 PM

Hi! Sounds like your problem is battery related according to the voltage readings you are getting. I'd start off the cheap way and charge the battery overnight. Once it is fully charged and back on the bike, start the engine, then connect your multimeter (set at the direct current voltage setting) and see if the voltage rises when you rev the engine. You should see a voltage of between 13.5 and 14.0 volts if the alternator is charging the battery. If the voltage doesn't increase, then you have either a duff r/r or the alternator isn't working properly. You can also check if the charging system is working ok by switching on your headlight and watching for an increase in brightness as you rev the engine! Some garages will check your system for free, especially the battery, by putting a load on it and seeing how much the voltage drops, at least they do over here in England. This is a good test for how good or bad the battery is. You may just have to dig deep into your pocket and get a new one! Hope you get it all solved soon! Good luck!

Old 02-10-2013 | 02:47 PM
|

So I bought the battery tender and charged the battery overnight. Reinstalled it in the bike this morning and tried to turn it over. Took about 6 tries to get anything more than just the starter spinning. The bike eventually turned over and spewed white smoke and it would not stay running unless i layed on the throttle. After it died i touched the headers and the 3rd cylinder pipe was cold so it was not firing. Started it again later and checked the pipes again and the 4th was not firing as well. After every attempt to turn the bike over i would hear a hissing noise so i think there is a vacuum leak as well as whatever else is going on. There was a residue at the seal on the left side around the gasket closest to the 1&2 cylinders. I dont understand why because the 3&4 cylinders were not firing. Im losing my mind trying to figure out what is wrong so i am contemplating taking the bike to a mechanic and having the carbs cleaned as well as the gaskets replaced. Maybe even the plugs as well. Any advice as to what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Old 03-01-2013 | 06:37 AM
|
Talking

So 2 weekends ago i took the bike apart to check the airfilter and to swap the fuel filter out as it needed it. Got the airbox apart and saw the guy i bought it from had lied about it having the K&N airfilter in after he jetted it. Still stock filter and dirty as hell. Just like his police officer self. Anyways, got the fuel filter on and went to crank it, still didnt wanna start. After a few tries, fluid was coming out of the exhaust pipe. Gave up and called it a night. This last weekend i met a mechanic through a friend who only charged $50 p/h and had his own mini shop, so sadly i gave the bike to him on Sunday to run over and see if he could figure out the problem. Monday, less than 24 hours later he calls me and tells me he got it running. I could hear the monster in the background. SUHWEET. He checked the carbs and the float bowls were filled with watered down gas. After cleaning the carbs, he synced them after finding the two outside cylinders were barely getting a drop of gas due the fact the Jack### before me had no clue what he was doing when jetting it, which was made obvious by his stripped carb screws, and lost bolts, and lots of electrical tape. Thankfully my new buddy Bubba the bike mechanic hooked me up. So $120 later, i got my baby back. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Figured i should let you guys know the solution. So if anyone around the eastern panhandle needs a good, decently priced mechanic, let me know.

Last edited by Red_Wingz; 03-01-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Need some help troubleshooting