CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Need help identifying this piece. Tail light wiring

Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Default Need help identifying this piece. Tail light wiring

Hi, new here to CBRForum. i have a 20000 CBR600F4, my father is in the middle of doing custom integrated tail lights (personally i'm saying **** that **** and buying some of eBay) and we came across this installed by the Previous Owner. Need help identifying what this is because i can't really make heads or tails of the harness from this point. If anyone has any idea or say please contribute because clues can lead to solving this mystery! If you need more pics let me know. Much love

Old 06-04-2019, 01:37 PM

No gurus have any knowledge to share ? No ideas or suggestions or nothing ? :'(

Old 06-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneOfTheDeadd View Post
Hi, new here to CBRForum. i have a 20000 CBR600F4, my father is in the middle of doing custom integrated tail lights (personally i'm saying **** that **** and buying some of eBay) and we came across this installed by the Previous Owner. Need help identifying what this is because i can't really make heads or tails of the harness from this point. If anyone has any idea or say please contribute because clues can lead to solving this mystery! If you need more pics let me know. Much love

Cut it, you don't need it. Looks like they installed aftermarket lights.. And might've bridged the signal lights to the front lights from that point.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:12 PM

Looks like a blinker resistor for aftermarket LED lights. Personally, when I get into a project that someone else has already butchered like that, I tear it all out and start over. No telling what kind of gremlins you'll encounter if you leave that rats nest. If you have the shop repair manual, check the wiring diagram to see which wires are factory before you hack the whole harness out.

Last edited by shawn809; 06-13-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by shawn809 View Post
Looks like a blinker resistor for aftermarket LED lights. Personally, when I get into a project that someone else has already butchered like that, I tear it all out and start over. No telling what kind of gremlins you'll encounter if you leave that rats nest. If you have the shop repair manual, check the wiring diagram to see which wires are factory before you hack the whole harness out.
Word so its smarter to cut it all out and try to move from there. As far as resister goes whenever we plugged it up to check the blinkers or whatever it never really worked so 🤷🏿‍♂️

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM

Definitely. Most aftermarket LED kits come with a new resistor, and if not they're fairly inexpensive online. I'd do like you said and order a machine specific kit from any of the online motorcycle stores or ebay. They will plug right into your factory harness and you won't have a mess like in those pictures.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM
Registered Users

Just picked up a 1998 CBR900RR with that very same mod. That electronic box you are holding in the pic is a turn signal eliminator. basically in a nut shell. I am going to go out on a limb and guess you have the original taillight assembly but the turn signal pods are gone? That little mod integrated the turn signals into the original taillight system, much like the newer LED systems do out of the box.

I got rid of mine and went with a new LED system anyway so that little part went away LOL.... not needed with the LED with integrated turn signals.