CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Need Help....Bike fell over leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help....Bike fell over leaking oil

I need some input.... I live in an apt complex and the winds were gusty today here. I was gone for a few hours and came over to find my 2000 CBR600 F4 was lying on its left side (hard to understand that one). Anyway, it was dark and somebody helped my pick it back up to the upright position. The left mirror looked like it may be broke. I attempted to start it and it started right away. It ran for no longer than 5 secs and I heard "click, click, click, click" and it shut off. I tried to restart (lights all come on), but it does not turn over. I then noticed oil was all over the frame and on the ground (again it was dark). The bike ran for no more than 5 secs. My question is where would oil come from if bike is lying on left side...did something break or is that normal leaking oil on side? Why would the bike shut off and not turn over after 5 secs? Surely it did not freeze up the engine! Any help greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Default RE: Need Help....Bike fell over leaking oil

Note: The oil was there from the fall before the bike was started.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 PM

I had the same symptoms with the starting and the dying after dropping my bike at high speed. Also, when running out of fuel..

I think your bike should sit upright for some time to let all the fluids settle (especially fuel).

Can you spot a flash light on the bike and tell us the place where the 'oil' seems to be leaking from, or other info?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 PM

Oil was all over the aluminum frame that runs right along the bottom of the gas tank. But why would the bike start for 5 secs then just die. All lights come on, but it work even try to crank (turn over).

Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM

It may be oil/fuel pressure related. It would run for just a few seconds, but no longer because of one of these causes.

Give it some time upright and try again as you normally would (choke and what not).

Old 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks! I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 PM

The bike sat upright all night and most of the day before I took the battery out and charged it til it was full. I attempted to start bike, but when I hit the starter button it just "clicked" - the clicking noise was somewhere back around the battery area. Any ideas?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the spark plugs. I dont know how you got it to start in the first place. Dropped on its side like that for that period of time almost always hydrolocks the motor. Like I said I dont see it starting at all but you say it did. anyways pull the spark plugs to relieve compression, you can crank it and let it blow oil everywhere or you can get a small baster or some other form of vacuum to suck the oil out of the holes. You will want to clean the air box and filter up aswell.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM

Unfortunately, the last post came a little too late...I had my dealer pick the bike up (they are picking up and delivering free this month for service). The cyclinder #1 was hydrolocked with oil. They drained it, cleaned up the bike, changed the oil/filter, and put new spark plugs in. They also ran the bike quite a bit to get the oil out (smoked a lot). Total cost... 2 hrs labor and parts, $227.00 - I appreciate everyone's efforts on here. Hope someone learns from this...I know I did. Anyway, I took a couple cylinder blocks and rope and tied the bike up on each side so it doesnt blow over again! I move into a house with a garage in 3 weeks, so that will be nice. Thanks again! Jeff

Old 12-18-2008, 05:23 PM

Glad to hear you at least got it fixed. How bad is the fairing damage or did you get lucky? Its always sad to see someone drop a bike....my buddy did it when he was washing his, ouch.