CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

My "new" 2000 F4

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My "new" 2000 F4

Just got it, it's little rough around the edges. I traded my 1997 Intruder for it. The Intruder was in much better physical shape but wasn't what I wanted. I figured if it comes down to it I will just save up and buy a new set of plastics. It is lowered 3" in the rear and also lowered in the front but I am 6'1 and plan on putting it back to stock, unless that won't help my legs being bent so much? Not sure how that works. He gave me the stock triangles to put it back if I wanted.

Has a good bit of aftermarket stuff, exhaust, billets, etc.

Anyway, I just went out to the garage and snapped a pic, I will post better as soon as I get a nice day without rain to wash it up, remove some ugly stickers and take better pics.

Here we go, notice it is missing the ram air cover on one side in front of the tank. I am currently looking for one of those for cheap if anyone knows where to get one.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 AM

Welcome to the forum. Nice bike. I would definately raise the bike back up to stock height if you want to do any cornering.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on getting your F4.

*YES* raise it back up & put it back to stock suspension settings. Then, set it up for your riding preferences. Your bike appears to have aftermarket rearsets, which are most likely adjustable. However, at your height, you're going to have those bent legs. ;-) You'll get used to it.

Regarding the air cover, you can order it from any Honda shop, eb*y, etc. Call Delkevic USA, they may be able to help you.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Thanks. And yes, they are aftermarket and can be adjusted but I need to either get my bike jack back from my buddy or go get a new one and kick him in the nuts first. I figure to adjust it I'll probably have to strategically place a jack to hold it up after taking the bolts out? Looks fairly self explanatory. I'm also assuming to raise the front back up I just need to loosen the Allen bolts and tap the forks down with a soft hammer and tighten them? Or maybe I'm totally wrong and I sound like an idiot. I haven't googled it yet so I'm sure there is detailed info out there to be found fairly easy.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM

Here is the full description the guy I got it from gave me:

Spec's: maintained well, fresh service, new battery, Full S/S Micron exhaust, Vortex billet rearsets, Vortex billet upper tree, Vortex Clip-ons, Shift indicator, K&N Filter, FP Jetkit, SS chain guard, good brakes, good tires. Needs nothing. I put 2k miles on it before my wife got her license. But she's too short.

And yes, I met his wife, she's lucky if she's 5'1" so that was the truth lol.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:46 PM

After my 1st decent spin on the bike everything seems/feels A-OK except 1 thing. In 2nd gear at around 5k RPM it seems to sorta "downshift" itself, jerks a bit, then takes off like a bat out of hell. 1st gear breezes through the RPMs without a hiccup, I don't have enough room in my neighborhood to reach these RPMs in any gear higher than 2nd and my kids are here so I can't head out to the highway. Does this sound normal or like a common issue? Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Ok after some forum searching I found another girl's thread about hers doing something similar. Turned out to be her tranny and ran her around $1200??? Ummm, ya.. So far I see similar issues being either the chain or tranny. I definitely have to get it out through all the gears soon and get more info on the issue. Hopefully it's nothing or something small, aka chain slack or something. But unfortunately my old bike was shaft driven and I'm not even sure exactly how to check the chain.

EDIT: On the bright side (I guess) there's a tranny on eBay for $149 and with a book and maybe some videos I would at least try to do it myself before dropping anywhere near $1200 at the stealer.

EDIT AGAIN: According to her post with the tranny problem, she says hers does it at 4k RPM but not in a specific gear, mine jerks for a second in 2nd then seems to be fine, but not in 1st, haven't tried it in higher gears. Hopefully my issue is different than hers.

Last edited by F4tty20 00; 01-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 PM

I would call him and let em know whats going on like yesterday...nice looking bike good luck

Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 PM

chain is fine it has the correct amount of slack and isn't even close to the "replace chain" indicator line yet. On a side note, this only happened when "punching it" and not gently rolling through the RPMs. I'm talking to him and he said he put 2k miles on it and never noticed anything, never stunted, etc. I'm going to have to feel it out a bit more but it's not the chain as far as I can tell.

I do want to say again that this thing seems to run tip-top other than the downshifting sensation when mashing it in 2nd around 5k RPMs, and it shifts easily through all the gears smoother than any bike I've had to date, though this, unfortunately, is the newest bike I've owned.

Last edited by F4tty20 00; 01-17-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by F3katastrophe
I would call him and let em know whats going on like yesterday...nice looking bike good luck
Either way, at this point, what's done is done. He lives in Maryland, I live in Ohio. We met in the middle which was about a 4 hour drive for me. I had to borrow a truck and rent a U-haul trailer just to go get it. It was a terrible 9 hour round trip in the snow lol.

Quick Reply: My "new" 2000 F4