CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Looking to buy bike. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy bike. Thoughts?

Hey

I went and looked at a 2000 cbr600 f4 today. The guy was originally asking 4k. I went down and it has good plastics/paint but the bike has been layed down. It had a scratch on one of the covers and a small part of the frame...only cosmetic wouldn't affect anything. Other than that though look and ran great. It also came with a jacket, helmet and gloves. It did have 20k miles on it...not ideal but its a honda right. So i made an offer of 3500 and he said he would talk it over with his wife. What do you guys think?

Old 08-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Default RE: Looking to buy bike. Thoughts?

Don't lift your hopes up too high, first mistake of new buyers. Make sure you get all the paperwork, maintenance, oil changes, mods and aftermarket. Hope you get it... what color is it?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 AM

Red/Silver combo. Guy agreed to price and I'm still thinking about it. I was approved for a loan but still debating it. Anyone else think that is a good price or bad?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:12 PM

With 20k miles i think it is a normal price. I paid 3600 for my 1999 F4 that had 7k miles and got him to throw in a leather jacket that costs about 200. Mine was dropped once, too, and has light scratches

Actually, i see now that you said he would throw in the jacket, helmet and gloves... that may kick the deal towards buy. I read everywhere that 20K is when a lot of people dump their sportbikes, but it is a Honda and it will last a lot longer. Is this your first bike? You may do well to get a scratched one that has a little use.

Tough call. 3300 and i'd jump on it.

EDIT:: Oh yeah, i would consider my buy a normal deal, too. I am very happy with it, however.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're confident the bike runs well, it seems like a fair price. If you kept looking or waited till later in the season, you might do a little better, but in the meantime you've lost time you could have spent riding.

20,000 miles is not a problem, if it's been maintained. The only thing you should be cautious about is the helmet. If it's had any damage, even being dropped onto the street, its structural integrity could be compromised.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:16 PM

Bought a 99 F4 with 17K on it for $3,500 at the start of this riding season. Sounds like a good deal if you know the bike has been maintained well.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:19 PM

Sweet thanks a lot guys! I do realize it wasn't the best deal but it does get me riding ASAP and when I've been looking the last month and a half I think it's starting to be more important that I just get something and get out and get riding. Yes it is my first bike. I'm planning to get framesliders to hopefully avoid the unavoidable if it should happen Thanks again.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM

Yeah as far as the helmet and I am conserned, using a used helmet, whether it looks super clean or scratched, NEVER EVER use a helmet owned by a previous owner, you never know what could have happened to the helmet, dropped or whatever. Like he stated earlier, the structural integrity may have been comprimised due to a drop or just poor maintenance.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 PM

F4's need cutting and fairnig modding to properly install frame sliders. Hope that doesnt sway your decision...

Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 AM

Hmmm...probably not. I really like the idea of them but I want it to look good and not like some hack job either. What's the best way to do it?

Quick Reply: Looking to buy bike. Thoughts?