CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Look what this newbie did to my F4

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Look what this newbie did to my F4

This moron tried to change the air fiter on his 2000 CBR F4, and he fust it up. He figured, hey i can do this, after after all I do pump my own gas. He didn't notice the 10'th screw on the top of the ail box and just started yanking on it trying to get the air filter out. All of a sudden he hears some seals ripping and the whole air box comes off the bike. By the way, i was that moron. [sm=bangbang.gif]

Apparantly to chage the air filter you only have to take off the top part of the air filter box. I yanked on it so hard that the whole box came off.

So help me out you guys. I can put the box back, but i'm concerned about the seals. Look at this picture. There is sone sort of seal on the air holes on the bike. Those need to be replaced before i put the air box back right?

I always thought that magically the fuel in the gas tank found its way into the motor. I found out today that it drains thru a fragile hose. In the process of removing the gas tank i ripped that hose right in half. Did you guys know ther's a fuel off switch? I was like hell-yah!!! I did not want to hold my finger on the tube all day.

The fuel tank has 3 hoses. 2 dont connect to anything, they just drain apparantly, but one of them connecs to a pump or something. I broke that one.

I was looking thru bikebandit.com to find out which part it is, but i'm too dumb. Its about 5 inches, just a regular hose. I got the clamp that keeps it on.

here's a diagram
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._id~380101.asp

You know wha the best part is? I did it so i could add a K & N air filter, cause its reusable. When i got it all apart, a K&N filter was already on the bike. Clean as ****, did not need to be washed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Old 02-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Retired Admin
Default RE: Look what this newbie did to my F4

Is there supposed to be an attachment here?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:34 AM

The torn cable just plugs into that doo-hickey on the bottom of the fuel tank. Its held in by like a metal clip. I have the clip.

You know what, i can just put that cable back can't I? It will just be abit shorter. It broke right at the end of the hose.

But then again, maybe it wasn't me, maybe the cable was old. Bike has 35000 mikes on it.

Old 02-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Retired Admin

That should work out ok for you. Let's see if someone else has any suggestions, maybe ask the same question in the forum for repairs at the top? That is alot of miles....[8D]

Old 02-09-2006, 05:57 AM

Musichyp -- my bike looks exactly like yours, xcept less bling. No problems whatsoever, slips some gears but i figure its cause is suck.

Hey how about cutting one of the drain hoses a little shorter. Those things are long, can i just cut a piece off?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Retired Admin

your better off forking out the $10 to pick up a new length of hose from a dealer rather than scalping of other areas of the bike.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:10 AM

1. I'd replace the seals for the airbox anyway.
2. The pipe you are looking for is 13 on the schematic (http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._id~380101.asp) that you posted, i'd replace that too.

Also i'd recommend getting yourself a haynes manual because they're just ace. I have one and it's helped me do various things to my bike, like cleaning the air filter (it shows how to take the tank off properly and open up the air filter box, not forgetting the middle screw, which i'm sure you'd appreciate lol). Also doing a full oil and oil filter change without messing up, when i've never done anything like that to a bike before. Though it's not difficult, the manual puts you at ease about it. The instructions are easy to follow, it even has pretty pictures, which I love lol. It also has the electrical wiring diagrams and just everything you could ever need really. Mine cos me £19.95 but it's priceless to me

Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM

does anyone know the number of the drain hoses on the schematic diagram i know there two of them but which one i dont know i just want to compare on my bike.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got this off of one of the other posts on the How to section. I think this might help.

http://www.shraz.net/motorcycle/f4i/