CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Long trip questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long trip questions

Hello all,

I have been on these forums for quite a while and even though I don't post much I have learned a ton. That being said, I plan on taking a long trip from NY to IN to see the GP race. It will be the longest I have ridden and I would like to be prepared.

It seems on these Honda's that the stock r/r seems to go bad randomly. My bike has 6500 miles on it (I know don't go there) and was thinking of purchasing a new r/r (the finned one) to walk with just in case something happens. Do you guys think this is necessary or do they not go bad in 6500 miles / 13 years? lol damn 13 years.

Also, my battery was replaced 3 years ago with a energy start or something from wallmart at the time. The battery has a 3 year warranty on it. I looked at it today and it had some slight corrosion on the negative terminal so I cleaned it off. I took off the top to see if it needed acid or distilled water and I cant see any liquid inside, just some gray sheet type things. I am not sure what it should look like in there though. I have ZERO problems with the battery currently so wanted to know if I should be replacing it or not??

Thats pretty much it. It will have coolant topped off, oil changed, chain lubed, clutch cable lubed, brakes / tires checked before I go.

Last edited by 99cbrf4600; 07-29-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd it we're me (and it was) id replace the r/r. Mine was fine also, but for peace of mind and advice from someone on here, I replaced it with the revised unit. I kept the old "SH633" one as a spare since there was nothing wrong with it. For you. You could throw it in your luggage just in case something goths wrong and you need it for any reason. Pack the Allen head wrenches and you're set.

The battery might be maintenance free, but that doesn't explain how you got the top off I guess...

Anyway..
JMHO

Last edited by Turbulenz; 07-29-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbulenz is steering you straight, the bike's old enough and has enough miles.
It hits pretty squarely in the zone for the r/r issue to rear-up.

Get a sheep-skin (or the poleyester equivilent) for your saddle.
You'll be glad you did.

A fully-stuffed tank bag, makes a great rest for the long rides.
Just pack soft (like your clothes) stuff at the top, for a cushion.

Don't just fuel and throw your leg back across the saddle,
take at least 5-10 minutes at each break to walk around.

Keep hydrated and consider starting in the dark and riding to mid/late-afternoon
(if you're going to make it a 2-day trip). The setting sun is no fun to stare at, for hours.
Especially at your most fatigued part of the ride.

Plan for an hour after sun-rise, to leave on the return trip.

Be sure your cell-phone has a full charge and use google maps, etc to plan your
fuel/rest breaks. Carry some cash, but not a ton of it. Don't forget to check for
toll-road fees, a lot of booths don't have attendents OR change machines.
A roll of quarters is always a good idea.

Good luck and post lots of pictures with the camera.
You remembered to put it on the list, right? lol

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 07-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Good Advice from both posters - but to expand on Erns'

When you take the 5 minute break after fuelling do a bike check - I usually push my bike away from the pumps and have a smoke. While I'm partaking of the ciggy, I look at the tyres, chain, fork seals - just a general check over of the bike. Gives me peace of mind for the next leg of the journey.

And as for hydration - here in Australia it is of vital importance particularly over the summer months. My partner and I both have camelbacks which either have water or sports drink in them for the trip. And they are used!

Also, using a sheepskin alleviates a lot of butt rot. And it's nice to have a partner as pillion, who, when you stand on the pegs for a while, can massage sore butt cheeks for you Ain't love grand?

Be prepared, and have a safe, fun filled journey.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM

good luck and have a safe trip, can't wait to see a NY plated F4 in town for the race, if you need any navigation help when your in town, feel free to get ahold of me

Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
I'd it we're me (and it was) id replace the r/r. Mine was fine also, but for peace of mind and advice from someone on here, I replaced it with the revised unit.
That someone was me. ;-) I wrote at length about the new design unit that supersedes the old flat design. OP if you search back thru my posts, you'll see where I elaborated in some length about the finned design unit.

That being said, I would most def replace that old flat SH R/R w/ the new finned unit.

As for the battery... I don't care for Walmart batteries. Spend the money and get yourself a good quality battery like the Yuasa & you won't have to worry about it.

OP, good advice above already. I'll add to it also... Sorry to have you look back thru my other posts but I don't have the link handy... I wrote at length about roadtrip tips as well. We had a guy coming to the U.S. to ride cross-country. I advised him on some of my cross-country trips I'd accumulated from experience. Perhaps those posts could help you as well.

The most important thing I can suggest when planning a roadtrip is to be sure to allow yourself plenty of time. You do NOT want to be rushed. Build in time for quality rest/meal breaks. Hydration is important as well. Comfort plays a huge roll as well. Wear your gear but wear cooling garments underneath that wick away moisture/sweat to keep you cooler.

Less can be more... Only pack & take what's absolutely necessary. Remember, what you pack - you have to carry. Try to find dual purposes for garments. Also, the more weight you pack, the more gas you'll buy. ;-)

Bike maintenance/prep/supplies... Naturally, you'll want to have your bike in top condition (adding to the above ans). If you're close, change your oil & filter. Check your air filter. Check radiator fluid. Check brake fluid. Clean & adjust chain. Since you're going on a roadtrip, take a couple of extra fuses, zipties, & a small roll of duct tape. A small can of Plexus/Honda Polish & a small micro-fiber towel to keep your visor clean. I learned the hard way about needing a headlight spare bulb...now I always carry one in my trunk area on a roadtrip. If your bike still has the oem toolkit, take it. Use good quality bungee cordage to secure your tail bag. I could go on... ;-)

Lists & layout... Once you've paired down your packing lists for both your bike & your personal items, lay it all out. Test pack your bag(s). Determine if everything you have in your lists is necessary. Repack as necessary. Have your route pre-planned & maps ready.

Have your bike ready to go & bag secured the eve b/f the trip. You'll want to get straight on the bike in the morning & focus on riding.

Lastly, like a Flight-Plan... Be sure to inform family/friends of your route & approximate time of arrival. Be sure to keep them updated of your progress along the way when you stop for breaks. There was a sad story of a rider a couple of yrs ago that went on a long roadtrip. He ran off the road for some reason & wasn't found for days. Nobody knew his exact route or arrival at his next destination. So, they had a difficult time finding him. So, be sure to keep folks informed.

As you can tell, I like roadtrips. If you need any other tips, please don't hesitate to contact me. Have a great trip & enjoy the racing!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:17 AM

broken down and i got stranded one time on a trip. never again, that was almost a year ago. now in my pack under the seat cowl i keep all electrical parts,relays, fuses, diodes that might go bad, and yes spare r/r too. to help me monitor battery and electrical system i put a koso volt meter (that Mad Hattr told me about,thanks dude) on mine to let me know if and when my charging system starts to act funky. i also soldered my three wires from stator to r/r and used shrink tube to help against corrosion. when im on the two or three day trips guess what im worried about?? not ****, except taking the chickin strips down some more and what route i wanna take every time i go to my fav spot in the smokeys every month...heading there next week

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotcbr
That someone was me. ;-)
Yep it was.. Didn't want to call you out by name tho hehe

Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 AM

R/R ???

regulator?? lol

Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Official Welcome Crew