CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

"Jumpy" F4

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Jumpy" F4

Hi All,

This is my first post here, and in fact, I am new to the bike riding world. I took the MSF Class last year, but didn't end up getting a bike right away. My wife actually surprised me this year with a 2000 CBR600F4! It's my first bike, and I know it is a fast one, so I am making sure to take things slow.

Anyway, since i am new to motorcycles I really don't know how they are supposed to "feel" when running. For example, the question I have, is when the bike is in 1st gear and im cruising around the parking lot without giving any gas the bike feels "jumpy" and like it surges a little bit. Is this something that is normal? And when I drive the bike It sounds more "ticky" (I know these are all HIGHLY technical motorcycle terms) than I would expect just from hearing bikes drive past down the road. I guess it would likely be just standard engine noise, but just curious if all of this sounds normal to everyone.

Thanks so much for everyone's time.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Avi

the engine isn't designed for getting this bike moving at 1300 rpm (idle) . trying giving just enough gas to get it to 3K rpm. it should be smoother already.
in general in first gear any change in the throttle position will make the bike head shake. to get a smoother throttle reaction put it in 2nd gear. inside a parking lot you will be going about 20 mph , but it will feel much smoother.

last thing, enjoy the new bike!

p.s: be aware you are very lucky your wife buys you the bike, mine wants me to sell it !

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a lovely 99' F4 and I also thought it was a bit 'jerky'. First of all check your chain tension. Mine had a bit too much slack in it which made it even jerkier than it already was. First gear will be something you'll get used to. It's very sensitive in the first and also second gear (but less). What it basically comes down to is getting used to the sensitive throttle on lower speeds. You'll get it soon I'm sure .

Have fun with your F4, you have an awesome wife!
(My baby is sitting in the garage with a warped front right rotor ...)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM

Thanks so much for the insight, I really appreciate it! I'll have to check the tension on the chain to see if that helps at all.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats...great surprise by your wifey!

"Slow" is good. Good job taking the MSF. I highly recommend it. Sounds like you are learning the proper way w/ practice & caution.

Yes, 1st gear is going to feel "jumpy"...after all, its first gear. ;-) All joking aside, make sure you're running around 1300-1400 rpm (when warm) & that your choke isn't on.

That "ticky" is probably your CCT letting you know its there. Its normal. Although some make more ticking/clicking than others, its still probably ok.

Welcome aboard.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM

also check your idle speed. If its set too low it may cause it to be at bit jerky.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Ah yes...I rememeber my first day on my F4 right after I took the course. After I was used to riding the 125's and 250 crusers I nearly crapped my pants when I gave a bit of throttle on the f4. They seem a bit jerky when you are first learning but soon you will learn to make the throttle smoother in 1st.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks All. Yeah, the idle is set about right..it idles at about 1300 (once its warmed up). Yeah, first is pretty touchy when you hit the throttle. The Jumpiness i was talking about was just moving with no gas at all (I.e., let the clutch engage and then the idle speed just pushes the car). Sounds like this is all normal though. Thanks again for all of the help -- I'm amazed at how quickly you guys are all here to help. I seem to have found a great forum.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM

If you are just letting the idle push the bike with no throttle in first when its going slower you need to slip the clutch in and out or give it some gas otherwise it will be "jumpy" as the bike attempts to get enough speed not to stall. (I think thats what your talking about).

Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Yeah, i think that is exactly what I am talking about. Glad to hear that it sounds like nothing to worry about!

Now, if the dew point up here in Wisconsin would drop below the "tropical" level, I could get out there and ride it for awhile without feeling like i'm in a sauna in my jacket.

Quick Reply: "Jumpy" F4