CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Lost my keys! :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my keys! :(

I have recently moved house and somehow managed to lose my bike keys in the process. I only had 1 key when I bought the bike and stupidly never had a spare made.

I have contacted my local Honda dealer and they have advised because it has a HISS system, I will need a new ecu and barrels etc costing £1200!!!! Is this true??

On searching I came across a red Honda key with a circular fitment. This has a code on the back of it but I can't see anywhere that it would fit on the bike? Don't know if it would be of any relevance to be honest

Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Buy a new key from ebay etc, then have the bike rekeyed or even talk to a lock smith most of them can make a new key for cheap. and I don't think it would require to replace the ecu for new lock set either, Its cheaper to have a new key made tho.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
Buy a new key from ebay etc, then have the bike rekeyed or even talk to a lock smith most of them can make a new key for cheap. and I don't think it would require to replace the ecu for new lock set either, Its cheaper to have a new key made tho.
There is a 3 digi number stamped on the inside of the gas cap. Any lock smith will be able to make you a new key if you provide this number. I know for cars, if you tell them the VIN#, then any Honda dealership will be able to make you a new key, but I am not sure if it works for the bike too.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Worst comes to worst, take off the trunk cowl key slot....ignition, gas tank and trunk cowl is all same...take it to lock smith...but since you don't have to key now, you must disassemble the fairings to get to the trunk cowl...

Guess easiest way is the digi code...

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hikeetech
...I know for cars, if you tell them the VIN#, then any Honda dealership will be able to make you a new key, but I am not sure if it works for the bike too...
Nope.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Registered Users

Just had the same problem, lost the top of the key in an accident. Bought a full hiss system from a cbr600fy that was being broken on Ebay for £200. The FX (F4) or the FY (F4I) will both work, you need to buy the whole lot though, key, hiss receiver, barrel, ecu, filler cap and finally the lock for the seat release. Most breakers know this and list them on ebay as a complete set. you just have to keep searching for hiss in motorcycle parts and accesories or ring round some breakers yards.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM

So, if i take in my current key and get a blank key, can any locksmith cut the blank correctly from the cut key i already have?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 AM
Registered Users

they can cut you a key but if you have the HISS system it wont actually start the bike because the HISS system is an immobiliser and requires the chip in the plastic part of the key. Honda can make you another key if you still have an original but it aint cheap, probably cheaper than a full second hand HISS system though. I had to learn the hard way about this system, its a pain in the ***

Old 10-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Default hiss key

Originally Posted by johnstig84
they can cut you a key but if you have the HISS system it wont actually start the bike because the HISS system is an immobiliser and requires the chip in the plastic part of the key. Honda can make you another key if you still have an original but it aint cheap, probably cheaper than a full second hand HISS system though. I had to learn the hard way about this system, its a pain in the ***
a bit late now, but may help some one else, find a locksmith who does bikes, like myself, we can go to the bike and make a key on those without removeing a lock, then you get access to ecu, we can re chip some honda hiss ecu, doesnt always work but the unit is scrap without a key anyway, also say you were touring in spain and broke your hiss key, take a photo of it and send to us, and we could ship out a new one with instructions how to swap chip,

Old 12-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Similar to what savagestone said, its a bit late now, but I figure this information might help someone else who lost their key like I did.

There are a lot of options that end up being adequate solutions actually. In my case, I ordered a new key online (far cheaper), and then had a locksmith do some rekeying for me.

The only reason I realized that was an option was because this article on fixing and finding lost keys kind of explains what to do: https://unitedlocksmith.net/blog/how...your-lost-keys

I know this is a rather old thread, but what are some other options you guys have used to get your new keys or replace lost keys?