CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Important for all 99-00cbr600f4 newbees

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important for all 99-00cbr600f4 newbees

i just want everyone to know , i have 32000 miles on my bike and finally did a valve adj

i kept procrastinating on doing it cuz it it was riding good . dont do what i did .

do it at the correct intervals , i had to change my complete head cuz the #1 intake

journal got scored up , read all my threads and youll see, not fun , so if there is one

thing i would highly recommend is to do the valve adj. #1 i just wanted to share with

everyone maybe this will save a headache for someone else. #2 get the clymer book

this is very useful to changing oil to engine teardown. this will help all newbee's with step

by step

JUST THOUGHT ID GIVE YOU SOME WORDS FROM THE WISE

Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM

hey man do you know what mileage the first adj should be at? I bought an f4 with 5k and I'm assuming its not for a little while at least. Thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 01:25 PM

I think its every 16K miles, though im not totally sure.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:07 PM

16000 about right without looking at my book just make sure u do it
it wasnt hard, just take your time, i did the new head and valve adj
cost alot more money
it sounds like i already saved some people a real headache

Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16k according to manual though may not be good enough. I've read all over about how these bikes rarely have valve issues but my f4i sure does. my bro has owned since it had 2k miles and at 8k it started acting up. I got it from him at 16 and all valves were out of spec and 4 were so tight I had to adjust them twice just to get a reading for calculation purposes. I've got 24k on it now and just did the valves again this weekend. Guess what, they were too tight again. This head is a POS. either the valve seats are to soft and the valves are sinking into the head or the valves themselves are mushrooming. Eitherway I'm gonna have to find another or have this one rebuilt before to much longer.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM

hey did you do anything as far as jetting or slip-on

ive read sites b4 that they said they chkd at 16000 miles and valves were good
and then at 32000 and they were just alittle out
thats y i waited everything sounded good and fine and then all of a sudden started acting
up about 30000 miles so i figure i would chk them
i have a k&n filter and yoshi slipon exh
the only thing it does every year i have to put new plugs in becuz it floods out when it
gets cold in fall and spring i chg plugs and it fires right up
so today i put oem exhaust on and am going to keep it that way and see what happens
come fall

Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonld
16k according to manual though may not be good enough. I've read all over about how these bikes rarely have valve issues but my f4i sure does. my bro has owned since it had 2k miles and at 8k it started acting up. I got it from him at 16 and all valves were out of spec and 4 were so tight I had to adjust them twice just to get a reading for calculation purposes. I've got 24k on it now and just did the valves again this weekend. Guess what, they were too tight again. This head is a POS. either the valve seats are to soft and the valves are sinking into the head or the valves themselves are mushrooming. Eitherway I'm gonna have to find another or have this one rebuilt before to much longer.
how hard are you riding it?? If you are continually bouncing it off the rev limiter, then yes you will have to adjust etc more often than if you were riding it like it is intended. Or you may just have a bad head or sumtin else.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Default Newbe question

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd give it a shot.
My bike has gone through several owners from what I can tell. I bought it from my brother who bought it from a guy, don't know if he was the original owner or not. But I have somewhere around 33k right now and have no clue about valve maintenance in the first place. I know my brother had the carb worked on before I bought it, is there a way I can check the valves you guys are talking about to see how they are?
Thanks for the warning and any help!
99 cbr f4

Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Levi85
I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd give it a shot.
My bike has gone through several owners from what I can tell. I bought it from my brother who bought it from a guy, don't know if he was the original owner or not. But I have somewhere around 33k right now and have no clue about valve maintenance in the first place. I know my brother had the carb worked on before I bought it, is there a way I can check the valves you guys are talking about to see how they are?
Thanks for the warning and any help!
99 cbr f4
I'd say download the (factory service) manual and check the valve clearances (or have a shop check them). That'll tell you whether they need attention or not.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM

i would say to check them every 8 probably. Just to be sure. preventative measures make these bikes run forever. mine has 54k on it. I plan on at least riding it one more season and selling this bike. It has done well to make it this far and i will definately buy another honda.

Quick Reply: Important for all 99-00cbr600f4 newbees