CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

I need a set of Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a set of Front Rotors

My 2000 F4s front end is shaking under heavy breaking and my mechanic said (he didnt see the bike) it is most likely the front brake rotors. Does that sound right? I don't wanna buy them and then discover that that wasn't the problem. If anyone has a set they wanna sell please contact me. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Default RE: I need a set of Front Rotors

Also, is there a way I can tell which of the two (right or left) rotors I need replaced?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM

i have the same problem, and i'm about to invest in some galfer rotors.
i'd be happy to sell you my stock rotors for like $600 lol
if you replace one you should replace the other, it's not a good idea to do one side at a time.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mpbigham

i have the same problem, and i'm about to invest in some galfer rotors.
i'd be happy to sell you my stock rotors for like $600 lol
if you replace one you should replace the other, it's not a good idea to do one side at a time.
600 r u CRAZY? I could get them BRAND NEW for less than that...i got a quote from a salvage yard for $120 for both already...

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM

check first to make sure your front tire is not cupping. does it shake when you are just cruising and get more severe when you brake? or is it only when you brake? If its shaking some when you are cruising it's probably the tire.

As for replacing one rotor at a time it certainly wouldn't hurt anything...however they have both been subjected to nearly the exact same braking conditions so if one is warped chances are the other will be just as bad.

One more thing if you buy replacements from a salvage yard they may be in worse shape than the ones you have on now

Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: jutsin

check first to make sure your front tire is not cupping. does it shake when you are just cruising and get more severe when you brake? or is it only when you brake? If its shaking some when you are cruising it's probably the tire.

As for replacing one rotor at a time it certainly wouldn't hurt anything...however they have both been subjected to nearly the exact same braking conditions so if one is warped chances are the other will be just as bad.

One more thing if you buy replacements from a salvage yard they may be in worse shape than the ones you have on now
thanks for the good advice. I just put new tires on and these have only like 500 miles on them or so. I do do a lot of wheelies so it does prematurely wear the tires out but it ONLY shakes under heavy breaking when im almost stopped...also, im not exactly sure what cupping means...im assuming it means that the tire is flat in the middle??? if not please fill me in...sorry if its a dumb question and something i should know.

as for the salvage yard parts...how can i tell if they're in good shape or not...this is an awesome price as the cheapest i saw online was 100 for each (left and right) and this is 120 for both. Thanks agian for the advice.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:30 PM

it was a joke dude

Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried measuring the thickness and checking them for out of round?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:55 PM

how can i tell if they're in good shape or not
There's not really a practical way to check that...first you would need a micrometer to measure the thickness and you would need a dial indicator to measure run out...which would be nearly impossible if its not mounted on the bike...

If I were in your shoes and were going the salvage yard route I would just try to find rotors off one with the lowest miles possible.

As far as tire cupping goes you should be fine with 500 miles.. My front tire is cupped pretty horribly and I definitely feel it when I'm braking. Cupping is really any sort of irregular patch wear in the tire (flatspot/deeptread/flatspot/deeptread/flatspot............)

Old 10-02-2007, 02:21 PM

So I guess im not spending less than 500 if i want new rotors? I was looking at EBC the galfers are really pricy. are there any other brands?