CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How often do you have to adjust your chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you have to adjust your chain?

I have owned my 2000 F4 for less than 1500 miles now, and I seem to be having to adjust my chain VERY frequently.....like every 150-200 miles! It has a Non-o-ring chain (I am not sure if that was stock on these or not).... does that have anything to do with it? The chain was dirty and dry when i bought the bike, so I cleaned and lubed it right away, using Dupont teflon multipurpose lube. When I adjust the chain (to 1" deflection) it seems i can already notice it loosen a little even after the first 50 miles after adjustment! The teeth on the sprockets don't seem worn, and all else looks good......Any ideas, or is this normal? I am still new at this motorcycle thing!

Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM

could be on way out, shouldn't have to adjust like that. I did near the end of mine and now altered, shouldn't change in length for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I agree w/ Pug. Sounds like the damage has already been done to the chain.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the600
When I adjust the chain (to 1" deflection) it seems i can already notice it loosen a little even after the first 50 miles after adjustment!
If you're only leaving 1" of slack you may be overtightening it, especially if you're not sure you're measuring at the tightest point, and especially if you're not measuring it with you sitting on the bike. There has to be enough slack that the swingarm can pivot up and down without stretching the chain. If you don't leave enough slack, you are stretching the chain every time you go for a ride.

Of course, if that's the original chain from a 13-year-old bike, it might be due for replacement anyway.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM

^ Very true Munson. F4s like looser rather than tighter chains. Use the spec from the factory service manual.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 AM

Sorry I took so long to reply...and thanks for the advise! If the sprockets look good, can i just put on a new chain? Or should i replace the chain and sprockets as a set? Also, if I am replacing only the chain, how can I be sure what chain to put on....because the previous owner said something about having changed the front sprocket...(one tooth down maybe?) Any advise on chain brands or styles for the "economy shopper"? Lol!! Thanks again!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Personally, I'd change the sprockets & chain.

OEM *steel* sprocket sizes are 16/45.
OEM chain size = 525/108 links.
OEM chain suppliers: RK & D.I.D - Both are extremely high quality & reliable chains.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 PM

my experiance, with good maintenance and normal wear, mine does that around the fifteen to twenty thousand mile mark and its time to replace it. i buy the sprocket and chain kit.

i just put a new chain sprocket kit on last week because it had the same symtom and it was time after sixteen thousand miles. i also replaced the cush drive damper set because it was worn (dry rotted,cracked and hardened rubber) and still had slop and was very jumpy during acceleration and deceleration, even after the new chain and sprockets.

i dont know how many miles are on your bike but, if and when you put a new chain&sprockets on your bike, check the cush drive damper set too. it can effect your chain and its tension, wear and tear, ect. your rear shock travel hieght and setting can effect your chain tension also.

for example, im around two hundred forty lbs, plus the twenty-five pound pack i haul around often. i set my back shock on five or six, in the stiffer,higher range. see, as the swing arm travels up and down when ya go over bumps, the chain slightly tightens and loosens. so, if you have it too tight to begin with, and you are a fat-*** like me, when you sit ur big *** on the bike and the chain is at one inch it may be too tight while riding and thats bad. i keep my chain at about an inch and a quarter play, on the looser side. if your a light weight do the opposite. manual says it needs to be between 1- 1 & 3/8.

i have learned a lot from people on here. i have my own procedure for chain and rear wheel maintenance...it takes practice to get it near perfect. take your time and learn. to make it easier you can get a chain alignment tool on ebay and look up chain alignment procedures on you tube.

some times im long winded but, i hope that helps. need any more help just holla

Last edited by cBrentb; 09-16-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 AM

Thanks for the tip about the cush drive! I will check that out too! With the Ohio riding season drawing to a close......that sounds like a good winter project! Thanks for all the help! The bike has 22k on it, but not sure if the chain is original or not......I am assuming it is, because anyone replacing it would probably have replaced it with an O-ring chain....but you never know!!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Stick on an xring chain n new standard sproks. enjoy gettin to know your bike over the winter.

Quick Reply: How often do you have to adjust your chain?