CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How much oil do i need??? HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much oil do i need??? HELP?

I just bought a used 99 F4 and i wanted to change the oil becuase i wanted to make sure it had good clean oil init when i take it for a ride,but anyways heres my problem i read that the f4 takes 3.9qts of oil to fill it up well i put that amount in and when i checked it through the little glass peice on the bottom it was completely filled with oit it wasnt in the middle of the two marks. And before i changed the oil when i looked to see how much oil was in it it was right in the middle of the marks. So what should i do? Should i leave it like it is, drain some out or what. i heard to much oil can damage the enigne. And the engine was warm when i checked it after i put the fresh oil in.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Default RE: How much oil do i need??? HELP?

You did not say it so need to remind you that the motorcycle has to be off its side stand (vertical) to check the oil level. If you are still above the fill line than I would let some out. Too much oil can cause the oil pressure to increase to the point where oil will get past the the seals.

An oil change should take 3.0 liters and a oil change and oil filter change should take about 3.3 liters (3.5 quarts). I give liters since the alot of motorcycle oil comes in liter bottles. I got that oil amounts from the owners, Haynes and factory manual.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Default RE: How much oil do i need??? HELP?

Once you start it and it fills the filter and the rest of the system up it will go down some.

That extra half a quart won't hurt anything.