CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How To: HID Projector

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: HID Projector

Blue Fox, I did do my research and your write-up was one that convinced me to buy the kit. You suggested that the kit wasn't installed correctly, but it is installed correctly. Blue, my rumors are backed up by my evidence. Look at the picture I posted and tell me that the beam pattern is normal. I read through that entire thread that you posted, and I'm not the only person that has told you the kit in the stock reflector isn't going to produce OEM results. Ok, here is where I agree with you:

- Yes the kit is brighter.
- *IF* the bulb is of the same length as the OEM halogen, then there is a good chance it won't look horrible.

The kit I purchased is a bi-xenon rebased bulb a full 3/4" longer than the OEM H4. When the solenoid pulls the bulb in for a high-beam it's still 1/2" past the tip of the H4 bulb.

I'll let other people decide for themselves when they see the beam patterns.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:46 AM

Blue, do you have a picture of your beam pattern against a wall?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying that I'm 100% right..........but I don't see any pictures to compare the OEM beam pattern you had BEFORE the HID kit was installed. So I can't accept the one picture as proof that the HID kit is 100% to blame here.

And I'm not saying the projector modification isn't a great idea. It turned out incredible. But what I will say is that when you say that no one should buy an HID kit, it's just outrageous. Nissan, Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc, etc. all used HID systems in their cars way before they started using projectors..........so referring to OEM HID's as "projector HIDs" isn't accurate. The "projector" is just a different means of getting the light to the road (as opposed to using standard reflectors) The benefit is a smaller package with modern looks. The standard reflectors used in 600RR's have a "linebeam" cutoff and produces the same light output and similar beam style as the projector (which is why my beam is flat and even in the pics I posted). So to sum up, HID systems have nothing to do with projectors. HID systems are just an illumination source. They just use projectors as a means to get the light to the road. Car manufacturer's put halogen bulbs in projector headlamp housings as well.

And yes, since you have a "bi" based bulb, you might have had problems. HID's were never meant to have a high/low beam on one base (they had to be adapted for it with rather poor results)..........so naturally, the placement of the bulb will be off. When you install an HID retrofit kit, you should automatically assume that you will loose your highbeam (if your vehicle originally used a dual-filament bulb), and if you would have bought the H4 kit without the high beam, I'm willing to bet your light output might have been better contained. But that's just my assumption.

So what I'm really trying to say is that an HID kit for an older model bike (such as the F4) is probably not a good idea, as you proved. If you would have stated that, there would be no problem. But you are telling people who have 600RR's and other bikes with perfectly adaptable headlamps that HID kits are bad and that projectors are the only way to go...........and that is COMPLETELY false and that's why I'm arguing my point.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: travisgarrison

Blue, do you have a picture of your beam pattern against a wall?
I'll take a few pictures tomorrow night with stock OEM bulbs, then some with the HID kit.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:24 AM

I would take a picture of my HID's against a wall but I dont have a camera, lol. I just know I installed an HID kit on my 01 F4i and the visibility at night greatly increased without any scattered light pattern. The projector idea is great and a good write up, but not everyone has to do all that extra work to put a kit on their bike. Wait and see Blue Fox pictures. Lata!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I didn't think to take pics of the OEM until after I installed the kit. I'm sure someone else around here has an F4 and can take pics of their OEM setup aimed at the wall. The bi-xenon bulb I go goes in and out, so it's not two bulbs. Even when the bulb is in the "in" position, it's still longer, so I know my OEM setup is going to have a better light pattern (besides the fact that no one ever flashed their brights at me with the OEM setup. I'd be curious to know what the length is of the H7 bulbs in your bikes compared to the HID kits.

Part of the reason I'm jaded is that many people doing this mod either said that it could be adapted to any bike, or made it seem like that. The only bikes I am not sure that the projector mod would work on is the older bikes that have fluted glass (that is glass that is only semi-transparent and has a ton of lines).

Some people have said that HID was never used in reflectors, and I'm pretty sure that is not true. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a longer bulb is going to hit differently in a reflector.

The other thing is that even if your beam pattern doesn't have that intense glare above that blinds people, it's prone to hot spots, and unevenly distributed light... but I'll stand corrected if your pics show otherwise.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Registered Users

i plan on doing a retrofit...however...i can't just yet so i will probably do the HID aftermarket in the meantime...

I am withholding verdict until i see fox's pictures, although i tend to think fox might be right...on an older model...you are probably right travis...

my only argument to you travis is that it seems like a pretty easy retrofit for you....if i thought mine would be that easy, i would do it...however...on the f4i, with the dual headlamps...the modifications to get it to work are pretty extensive...search around, there is a writeup on cbrworld.net talking about how to do it...i am going to have to cut the hell out of my housings to do that...so unless you have time and are not worried about mucking up your housing, have at it...i plan to at one point, but right now it's not feasible...plus i would like to do four lamps...so i can have two on for reg and two on for high...but i have to work it out...

like i said, my only contention is that it isn't nearly as easy as you make it sound when you have two lamps and have to really cut away the housing essentially destroying the original housing....

just sayin...

on to the pictures...

Old 03-11-2008, 06:15 PM

Yeah, if you don't need bi-xenon, then don't use the e46 projector. It's a fairly large projector with the solenoid. over at HIDplanet.com there are specs of all the different projectors. There are some that are considerably smaller than the e46. On the F4i's and RR's I would go with smaller so that you didn't have to cut up the housing. You would still have to fab a mounting bracket. I saw the writeup on cbrworld, and I would be willing to bet that you could fab a bracket like I did (with a dremel) and with the right projector you wouldn't have to cut your housing at all... not to mention you could still use your stock adjustment screws (that's the whole point of the bracket).

Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Retired Moderator

Like I stated before, the beam pattern is the same with the OEM bulbs versus the HID's. No scattered beam, no glare issues.

Name:  hidbattle001.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  hidbattle002.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  hidbattle003.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  hidbattle004.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  49.2 KB

Below is the picture of the bulbs (OEM vs. HID) The HID "bubble" and the OEM filament are in the same place, despite the length difference.

Name:  hidbattle005.jpg
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  hidbattle006.jpg
Size:  89.9 KB

Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Ok, other than brightness your OEM and HID beams look the same. I stand corrected. So, if this helps, here is a table of the options

F4 and other single beam F4i and newer double beam
Fake Xenon "HID" DON'T DON'T
Legitimately Brighter HalogenCheapest option **Cheapest option **
Aftermarket HID Kits DON'T Marked brightness improvement, no glare problem****
Projector Modincreased brightness, sharper cutoff ***** increased brightness, sharper cutoff *****

** While this is the cheapest option, it will only marginally increase the brightness. Examples of this mod are PIAA and Sylvania Silverstars
**** Significant increase in brightness, and no glare problems
***** Significant increase in brightness, and sharper cutoff make this mod superior, however it requires more work. The cost is the same, but requires an additional purchase of a projector ($35 each), a mounting bracket ($3), and a shroud ($1.47). If done with a small projector, it should not require the cutting of your housing. This project also takes longer than the kit. I've seen the projector, bulb, ballast, and wiringfor sale on hidplanet.com for $70 each.

Here are some more pics of the cutoff on the projector:

Quick Reply: How To: HID Projector