CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

How to carry a rifle on my CBR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to carry a rifle on my CBR?

Say what you will, but I'm thinking about how I would/could carry a rifle on the F4. I like shooting, but the range (or even just an open area of desert public land) is ~35 miles away. The other vehicle I have is a Subie, which is perfect, but it's a turbo that burns premium at ~22 - 22.5 mpg. That's more than my cheapskate self wants to spend just to get to a shooting spot (and back). So, it'd surely be great if I could carry a rifle (2 or 3 wouldn't be bad, either! ) on the bike.

I've seen leather or plastic rifle scabbards, but they all seem to assume I have an ATV, or in some cases a Harley or dirt bike. I struggle to think of where I'd even strap something to the CBR. So, I thought I'd ask here and see whether anyone else might have done this.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go rambo style and strap around your back
In all honesty I would try to find a case liekthe ATV ones and see if you can get a clamp that will clamp to your frame in the side opening near the front oe on the subframe.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Motorcycles - British Army Website

i had fun on these they have the rifle case attached at the rear

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scabbard, bolted to the back. Running from the passenger peg back at an angle to
intersect with the rear tail-ish. If possible, a LOCKING strap. So when you get pulled over...
AND YOU WILL, it's obvious that it's not easily accessable to the rider.

Realistically, I'm thinking this whole idea falls in the "BAD Thing" catagory. We live in
an era of really freaky people. You're asking to be mistaken for one of them.

Carrying a long-arm, in the open, on a public highway, driving a motorcycle. I'd venture to guess,
that I'm not the only one out there, who would call that one straight to the OHP. Oh yeah,
I'm an avid gun-nut, living in Oklahoma (Land of the Gun-Rights, Gun-Nuts) and I would
be on the *55-send, before you even passed me.

You transport in a car, to the range or the edge of the boonies and THEN you scabbard
them up.

I don't want to turn this into a flame/rave. I've expressed my opinion, and won't be
stalking this thread to rebuttal. I just wanted to give you my view-point to consider
in your decision process.

Be safe out there, Ern

Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with it - first cop that sees ya will give ya the blues ! just because he can
see it, he's nosy and needs to find out who has the stones to ride a sportbike
around with a firearm attached to it

It'll need to be in a locked hard scabbard type case usually from the
rear peg like Ern said ........ pretty much Erns whole opinion is one I'd subscribe to
myself .....and I live in a hunters paradise

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This pic comes to mind...

Name:  Motorcyclistwithrifle.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  27.5 KB

Seriously though... Keep w/in the legalities of your particular state regarding firearm transport.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

heh heh - good one man

Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM

I have no suggestions on how to mount a rifle on a sport bike. On actually doing it, I'll just tell you what a Harris County sheriff told me once:

Sure it's legal to walk down the street in Houston with your .10 gauge thrown over your shoulder. Don't be surprised when we shoot 1st and ask questions never

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 PM
MZ5

HaHaHa! Rambo-style! That's funny!

I'm not certain how the Highway Patrol here would react. The officers I know personally would likely just kinda smile and shake their heads if I slung it over my back. I have no interest in nor intention of doing that, though. That seems extremely risky from a personal riding safety standpoint.

I've actually seen Harleys with scabbards up near or on the fork tubes, similar to the Thompson scabbards on the WWII Army Harleys. That would obviously not work on a sport bike. The scabbard along the peg to tail section idea is probably the only semi-reasonable/plausible one. I kinda don't think this will work no matter what I try. Maybe on an XR, but not a CBR. Unless... unless I got a take-down BLR in a fitted case! That'd fit in an oversized saddle bag or top bag!!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM

I'm not sure on US Law, but I'd advise carrying the ammo/mag seperatley from the rifle.

Quick Reply: How to carry a rifle on my CBR?