CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help! What does the headlight bulb retainin clip look like? I need one!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help! What does the headlight bulb retaining clip look like? I need one!

I removed the bulb to see what was up with it (and to put my new candlepower bulb in) and I find that somewhere along the line, a PO seemed to have lost the bulb retaining clip. I see a phillips head screw still in there (I removed it and put it somewhere safe) but I cant find any pictures of what it looks like. I need one bad! I rigged it back up for now (with the old bulb) but I have to get it on there the right way.

Any idea what it looks like or maybe a part number? Ron Ayers doesnt show a clip except for Mfg. Part Number: 33113-MAT-611 listed as a pipe clip. but I dont think that is it.. it is the only clip listed on the headlight page though.. for some reason I envision this clip to be more of a springy wire clip than the pic suggests.

Link to ron ayers: http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...EADLIGHT_99-00

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! If you have one and want to sell it, please let me know!

Last edited by Turbulenz; 03-12-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Official Welcome Crew

I just called a honda dealer and they told me that the clip is part of the headlight and only available through Honda with the light assembly.. wow.. forget that... I found a post on here of a how to with a good pic of the light, but I dont see any clip there.. looks like what I have now:

Old 03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Official Welcome Crew

Cmon.. this place has never let me down before...

Old 03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, that clip is called the 'Bulb Retainer'.

Clymer manual: Pics/photos on pgs 352-353. Its shows proper installation for both the single bulb F4 & dual F4i. There is a slight dif in the two models regarding the retainer but they both are metal wire retainers that hold the metal base of the bulb in the fixture.

Factory Shop Manual (links here on forum to online sources if you don't already have it): Section 19-3 has a diagram of the retainer.

Both references show how the retainer operates (& I can confirm). Push down & swing back to left to disengage. Its secured in its fixture on the left & is held there. To re-engage, swing back to the right to click in place to hold secure.

You present an interesting situation. I can't find a listing for it as a single part either & I'm inclined to believe the explanation you rec'd. I'm not so sure you really need it b/c the electrical connector is on the outside of the boot & holds the metal base of the bulb to the boot. Nevertheless, I understand your concern b/c its not properly secured.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Official Welcome Crew

thanks gotcbr. You always seem to have the info.. lol

I dont have a clymers, but I do have a service manual (genuine and pdf) but the pic was not good enough to know what it looks like. I tried to fashions a new clip out of spare parts yesterday but I didnt find any successful versions.. so for now it is back in pretty much the way it was before.. I think I might put the candlepower bulb in.. just hate if it shook and broke or whatever..

I really need to find one of these clips.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Official Welcome Crew

Just had a thought! If I push the bulb all of the way in and then use an internal snap ring behind it into the bore, that should work, right? You don't need a tremendous amount of pressure on the bulbs since it really doesnt move much..

Last edited by Turbulenz; 03-13-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you still want a pic of what the factory set up looks like?

Im pretty sure that snap ring would work if you didnt do it already.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew

i actually found this image on ebay from someone selling the headlight assy...

I actually printed a true size pic of this and then bent a thick paper clip to pretty much the exact shape of the clip... I havent tested it out yet.. the rubber retainer and some foam are keeping the new bulb in okay it seems.. but this weekend I am going to try my 'clip concoction"

I rode yesterday and today to work and back... headlight is working fine... but Id rather it be really secure..

Old 03-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good find. I don't think I would have thought to look on eBay. Hope the paper clip works for you. Seems like it would be just as secure as stock, maybe even better the stock one is very thin. I actually bent mine to get the bulb in and then bent it back so I didn't have to loosen the screw to swing out the clip lol

Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
I actually printed a true size pic of this and then bent a thick paper clip to pretty much the exact shape of the clip... I havent tested it out yet.. the rubber retainer and some foam are keeping the new bulb in okay it seems.. but this weekend I am going to try my 'clip concoction"

I rode yesterday and today to work and back... headlight is working fine... but Id rather it be really secure..
That is a nice pic for reference. Didn't think of the paper clip trick. A thicker gauge large paper clip would prob do the trick alright. Good improv Turbulenz. Hope it works out fine for you.

Quick Reply: Help! What does the headlight bulb retainin clip look like? I need one!