CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

HELP! Potentially big problem with my bike :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Potentially big problem with my bike :(

Hey guys, I'll try to explain the problem to the best of my ability.

I have a '99 honda cbr 600cc f4. I put my bike away for the winter but because of circumstances and such I did not "winterize" it like I should have. It was in my buddies storage garage out of the elements, and i drained the tank of all gas except maybe a quarter gallon. I did not change the oil or take the battery out (whoops). I meant to head back over in a week or two and take the battery out but my friends schedules and mine never aligned for me to get into his garage and then i just sort of forgot.

anyhow, i was anticipating big problems bringing it out of storage today. Actually, other than having to jump the battery, it started "decently" easy. I had to let it charge while on jumpers for about 4 or 5 minutes, and then it started. i let it sit idle for about 15 and then jumped on it to head to the gas station to get some gas in it and put some air in the tires. While stopped at a stop sign waiting for traffic the bike died. I went to start it back up and it was dead, no juice left. I had to hop off and push it to a nearby parking lot.

My buddy came back over and we tried to re-jump it, and when hooked up to the jumpers the lights came on, etc... but now it wouldnt turn over. actually, now it wouldnt even "click" when you hit the starter button. Usually it makes a "click click click" when you hit the starter and it doesnt turn over, have enough juice, etc... but now there was absolutely no sound being made. it was as if i wasn't even pushing the starter.

I thought (maybe?) that it was because the gas was too low, needed some fresh gasoline in it... something to do that maybe gas would help? so i filled up a canister and put 2 gallons in the bike... no help.

Now my bike is sitting in this retail parking lot and I dont know what the problem is?

could it possibly be the battery is "dead" and wont hold a charge anymore? Would this explain why the bike doesn't even "click" when I hit the starter button? (even if the odometer and lights do come on while its on jumper cables?) Is it wrong to assume that since not even 15 minutes before it died and i have this current problem it had started... so that it ~wouldnt~ be the starter or the rectifier since it had just started a few minutes prior? Or could it be just some really bad luck/coincidence that it happened right then?

if anyone has any suggestions, theories, etc, it would be much appreciated. I was looking to actually sell the bike this summer and get a newer cbr, and i reaaaaaaaally don't want to pump a ton of money into taking this thing in and getting it all fixed... any help would be awesome. thanks everyone!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try putting the battery on a charger, over-night. If it's any good, that should be
sufficent to re-charge. Don't get all froggy, let the battery charge till it's done.
Then try to start the bike.

If the bike still won't try turning over at all, I would start checking the connections.
Start with the battery cables themselves. Then, trace the positive to the starter relay,
looking for any loose connections. After that, check to see if the relay is good.

If that doesn't do it, post back with your efforts, and we can continue from there.

Good luck, Ern

Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first thought would be to check the connections at the battery.. Check the ground also.., for the heck of it check battery voltage and then trickle it overnight,. Check voltage again.. Should start right up.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM

thanks for the reply guys. do you think its the battery though? like I was saying, when i have it hooked up to a jump the odometer, lights, and turn signals all work... but when i push the starter it does absolutely nothing (no clicks, anything). Would a battery that won't hold a charge cause this (i honestly dont know)? Also, I can't imagine it would be the battery connections if when having a jump the bike receives juice... no?

Thanks though. Does anyone have a link to schematics of an F4? I don't know my way around the innards of the bike all that particularly well

Old 03-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Did you have the other vehicle turned on when you jumped it? Check the fuses if you did!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM

ya if u jumped it off a car check your fuses sometimes they blow. although it should be ok since they are both 12 volt batteries.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM

I did jump it off of a car (while started).... im guessing don't do that anymore?

I checked the main 30w fuse under the seat cover... is there another box of fuses elsewhere? is there a specific one i should look for that would cause a problem like this?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Only jump with the car off, then hook it up like normal! If all fuses look good, go get the battery tested to make sure it will still hold a charge.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM

There is a fuse housing box which hold the 10 AMP fuses, check those... although if all the lights/signals on the cluster, and bike work with the battery hooked up I don't think these fuses have anything wrong with them. This fuse box is located near the battery (left side while mounting the bike) under the seat.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully it's just the battery is junk - starting while jump to a running car - not good

Quick Reply: HELP! Potentially big problem with my bike :(