CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did follow woot's suggestion, and I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the spark plugs and an excess of fluids in the engine... can anyone tell me how to remove excess gas from a flooded engine.

I'd like to stress that the bike did turn over after I cleaned off the spark plugs, but after my first attempt it stopped and just gave me the single strong click. This tells me that when trying to start the bike excess fluids (oil/gas) ends up on the spark plugs, keeping it from sparking, and thus keeping it from turning over again.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say "turn-over", are you meaning the starter won't turn and/or the engine
doesn't turn, AT All. Or do you mean the engine "sputters/coughs" ONCE and then
nothing. Because if it won't rotate with the starter, but IS capable of rotating (meaning
you KNOW the starter system isn't the issue) I bet it's fluid-locked. Try a
vacume pump with a fluid reservoir or a turkey baster and suck what you can out
through the spark-plug holes. Then, maybe use a compressed-air nozzle in the hole to
blow out the rest. Hold a rag behind the nozzle to catch it with. Then, try it WITHOUT
the plugs, to see if it turns over. Check it again for flooding, if it looks good, pour a
table-spoon of oil into each cylinder (to re-coat the rings), re-install the plugs and try
starting it.

Again, it's NOT my strong suit, but that's basically what I (personally) would try,
based on your description.

I hope this helps, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 02-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by ddavis17
Also clean the plugs off and chuck them back in,
After all the work to remove the plugs, might be a thought to install new plugs.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the bike just clicks and does NOT turn over... then theoretically hydrolock is possible. The issue I have with that as a complete answer is that gasoline is volatile. It will evaporate and dissipate quite quickly. Very quickly if you take the spark plugs out and let it sit. Even more quickly if you remove the spark plugs from the worksite and crank the bike over (DO NOT BLIND YOURSELF LOOKING DOWN THE SPARK PLUG HOLE WHEN IT SHOOTS OUT GAS LIKE A SQUIRT GUN).

Thing is I don't really believe that the bike could get that hydro looked that quickly --- and remain so for that long. It certainly is possible -- I completely agree that it is possible -- I just like ocham's razor -- the most concise simplest explanation is likely the right answer.

So -- if the bike turns over when you press the starter button you have a very different situation than if it doesn't turn over at all.

If it turns over you know that the fuses are good and that the ground wires are good.

If it does not turn over you have to consider the electrical components; fuses, ground, safety switches (this happens SO often in lowsides/tip overs), battery connection, stator connection to the regulator, etc.

Safety switches. They're there to stop you from starting the bike when you have it in gear, when the clutch isn't pulled in, or when you're not wearing a fedora sideways. They're finicky and we've all been fooled by them. When the bike tips over some of the wires to these switches disconnect, or stick. Sometimes the side stand switch gets gummed up and sticks in place.

The bike will NOT start if one of those switches is borked. Please please please look at these switches.

FIRST -- please describe your startup routine. please tell us what happens when you press the starter. Do the lights dim? does it only click once? does it turn over at all?

ASIDE and UNRELATED to this thread; if a bike floods when it is tipped on it's side you can sometimes unflood it by 1) putting the bike in neutral, 2) turning the choke OFF, 3) wacking the throttle wide open (more air), 4) cranking in 5-10 second bursts until it catches, or you want to give the starter a break, or the battery needs charging. 5) Once it catches, get off the throttle, you don't want to rev the **** out of it.

FURTHER - practice bump starting your bike when it is warm. May as well learn how before you have a flat battery and NEED to do it out in the back woods. Put the bike in 2nd (if you can, Kawi positive neutral finder won't let you), full choke if cold, key off (but ready to go on - no need to waste charge on the brake/dash lights, you'll need that for spark soon enough). If you're tall you can duck walk the bike easily. If you're shorter you'll have to run next to it. Hope you have a hill -- chances are it will slope one way or the other. Get a good clip on. Jump on the bike. release the clutch and crack the throttle. As soon as it catches pull the clutch back in. If the battery is flat the bike will not idle properly so keep it over 3k if it feels like it might stall. Keep the revs up to charge the battery, and try not to use the hi-beams, brake lights, etc... obviously you can't always avoid these things, but if the revs drop, the battery is flat, and you touch the brakes? it will stall. Trust me I've done this in traffic with a D&D pipe... it sucks.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Default Progress

Today I removed the spark plugs... cracked the throttle wide open and crank it. So much gas shot out it was ridiculous. I put a towel across the holes, and the gas shot out with such ferocity it blew the towel right off and covered the front end of the bike behind the cluster in gas.... I wiped it all up and allowed the engine to air out a bit with the spark plugs removed (about 30 min prob more). I also replaced the spark plugs with new ones.

Put the air box and gas tank back on and reconnected everything... She cranks but no fire, one crank from the starter. I'm charging the battery now, as I'm certain that it is flat. Once the battery has ample time to charge I will put it back in and try again, after which I will post to let you all know how that goes.

After installing the battery I will be doing a thorough inspection of the electrical components woot mentioned. I will be letting you all know my findings.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by galequin
Today I removed the spark plugs... cracked the throttle wide open and crank it. So much gas shot out it was ridiculous. I put a towel across the holes, and the gas shot out with such ferocity it blew the towel right off and covered the front end of the bike behind the cluster in gas.... I wiped it all up and allowed the engine to air out a bit with the spark plugs removed (about 30 min prob more). I also replaced the spark plugs with new ones.

Put the air box and gas tank back on and reconnected everything... She cranks but no fire, one crank from the starter. I'm charging the battery now, as I'm certain that it is flat. Once the battery has ample time to charge I will put it back in and try again, after which I will post to let you all know how that goes.

After installing the battery I will be doing a thorough inspection of the electrical components woot mentioned. I will be letting you all know my findings.

Thank you all for your help!!!
Nice LOL. Mine shot crap like a geyser when i did it and it sucked lol. Also i hope the charged battery works because your symptoms sound exactly as mine did once i blew everything out, i tried to start it and it didn't go but once i charged the battery it was running and billowing white smoke for about 10 mins until its finally ran normally. Thats just my own experience. Good luck!

here's the link to when i was freaking out about it not starting https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...y-bike-124756/

Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sweet

That's great news!

Now I suppose I must eat my own hat soon?!? Hey at least I got the disclaimer on the volcano of gas/doom!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 PM

She's running, and A LOT stronger than before the incident! New spark plugs prob have something to do with that, oh and seafoam I'm going riding tonight, the throttle response is a lot more sensitive (deff a good thing as little application of the throttle resulted in sputtering) than it was before the new spark plugs so it will take some getting used to!

I love it here ... Thank you all so much for all your help.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yay! Glad you've gotten that behind you! Grats!

On another note...

No hat consumption for you Woot! Just because your particular suggestion didn't pan out, in this particular case, DOES NOT discount the validity of your suggestions. I found them timely and intelligently reasoned.

Ern

Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Yay! Glad you've gotten that behind you! Grats!

On another note...

No hat consumption for you Woot! Just because your particular suggestion didn't pan out, in this particular case, DOES NOT discount the validity of your suggestions. I found them timely and intelligently reasoned.

Ern
Agreed!!! Woot, you're suggestions were certainly helpful to say the least. Should I ever encounter an electrical problem resulting in a non-running bike I will certainly refer to this thread

Again thank you all!!!