CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

HELP! F4 Clutch/starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! F4 Clutch/starting problem.

Ok.. So i replaced the clutch in my f4. everything went smooth and it installed great.

now the bad news.. it wont start.. well.... i should say it starts but doesnt want to idle.. cuz ill get it started and it will idle for about 30-50 seconds.. then starts to die down and then completely just die..

could it be because the battery sat for almost a month before i could replace the clutch?? or could it be that it was 2am and about 28 degrees outside??

or am i just missing something completely?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfbewley2
could it be because the battery sat for almost a month before i could replace the clutch?? or could it be that it was 2am and about 28 degrees outside??

or am i just missing something completely?
Yeah, that could be it. Have you tested it or charged it? Get a battery tender & charge it up, then retry. Hope that's all it is. Of course, it being cold doesn't help either. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks.. Yeah its on a charger right now and i am going to go out around noon (supposed to be a nice 59 degrees today) and see if we can get her running! HAHA

Old 02-03-2011, 12:54 PM

I was hoping it was just the battery and i didnt **** something up! HAHA

Old 02-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start it up with the choke on? Shouldn't be dying like that if so.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 AM

Yeah... I put the choke on..

Well operation fix on F4 was a fail... I didn't even get around to doing it...
I talked to my buddy who has a GSXR. and he said it might be my alterator.. So we will just have to see.. Batteries on a tender as we speak so it will be nice and juiced in the morning and hopefully able to see if thats the problem..

If not.. Back to the drawling board!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 PM

Ok... Soo... I finally got around to messing with it.. Stupid work keeping me away! HAHA!

Well.. Fully charged battery.. no luck.. thought maybe the timing was off adjusted the timing.. still nothing.. my main problem now is that it just wont start at all... it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks.. and nothing..

so what i have done to this point,
drained fuel, put new gas in, adjusted the timing just to make sure it was spot on where it is supposed to be, Completely charged battery, and just do say i did it.. replaced the clutch..

now we have crossed out it has nothing to do with the clutch (obviously) as that install went smoothly, its not the fuel because thats brand spanking new fuel, and its not the battery..

the only thing i can think of at this point is that the timing sensor inside the crankcase is faulty.. or the fuel pump is faulty. those are the only 2 things i can think of..

Any other views would be wonderful on this topic as i am trying to ride... like... 2 weeks ago! Its been a steady 65-78 degrees here.. and i am missing out on some riding time! HAHA!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm sure you've already done this but to be sure, start w/ the simplest solution(s) first...
Check battery connections.
Check all fuses.
Check wiring connections.

It could be a fuel feed problem. Just to be sure... you're fuel switch is turned on right? Yes, check your fuel pump for operation. Go from there.

These things can be difficult to diagnose via interwebs.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Yeah I am going to check all fuses.

Battery connections are all good. Nice and solid.
How would I test the fuel pump??? Just switch the motorcycle to on and see if it pushs gas? Or is there a better way??

Old 02-09-2011, 11:28 PM

Yeah, great thing about the F4 is the fuel pump is easy to get access to it & to check. You can pull the hose to the carbs & see if its pumping gas when you turn on the key. It should flow freely but can pulsate. If it stops at any point, something is wrong btwn the pump & tank. If it isn't working at all, check the fuel pump fuse & fuel pump relay. Be sure to check your fuel filter as well.

Also, be sure that you don't have a kink in the fuel line from taking your fuel tank off & putting back on. You wouldn't think it could happen but it does sometimes.

See how the fuel pump test goes...

Quick Reply: HELP! F4 Clutch/starting problem.