CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Good starter bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good starter bike

Do you guys feel a 2000 honda cbr f4 is a good starter bike. Im 18 and I know to define a beginner bike its based on the rider and how he can control himself on the bike, but id wrather not take my dads older bike, he has a mint 1978 honda cb750k so ya, heka heavy. This one is only like 400 pounds wet, much lighter than my dads which is like 500ish.thank you for any input.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Good starter bike

F4 would be a decent starter bike. Can prolly find a decent one for $2500ish. If this is going to be your first bike ever make sure to put frame sliders on it. And the MSF course is a wise investment of time.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:17 PM

IMHO, a 600 sportbike (regardless of year) is NOT a beginner's bike. I would suggest getting something smaller (e.g. Ninja 250, 500, etc) and work your way up.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Retired Admin

Hold on there Junior Biker, I disagree....How "beginner" are you? Any dirt bike or scooter skills? First bike period? Or just first street bike? Eitherway thats alot of bike to start on! Go back a few more years and find a '92 or '93 cbr 600 and you will be fine. They don't make 600's like they used too!! You are talkin' 156 mph out of the box! If you want something newer go with a can-a-tuna (Katana) they are pretty timid and it wont hurt your wallet or heart "WHEN" you crash it! Then after you learn you can upgrade to honda's bullet! My first bike was a honda interceptor 500. If you can find one of those in decent shape that would be a great beginner bike and would be pretty cheap, maybe 13-1500 in cherry shape. Whichever way you go brotha' be safe and be careful, you wont have any fun sittin' in a hospital watchin' everyone drive by on thier bikes wishin' you were out there! Welcome to the club!

[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 PM

Ya, never used dirt bikes or anything. I just hate the fact that id have to buy a smaller bike, i dont really rake in the dough at age 18 lol. My dad also told me f4's are not a beginner bike at all.... well, i guess i can check out a kitana or something. I am definetly taking that riding class b/c no dmv test and lower insurance, plus the knowledge. How long shuld i ride before i upgrade myself? like 6 months to year? thanks for the responses btw.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: slayer_Zeus

long shuld i ride before i upgrade myself? like 6 months to year?
Only you can answer that. The whole point of starting on a smaller bike is to learn to ride and have confidence/competence in your skills that you can handle a larger, (and presumably) less forgiving bike.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

O.K. call it a brain fart but I swear I thought he put 600F not F4.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Retired Admin

ORIGINAL: slayer_Zeus

How long shuld i ride before i upgrade myself? like 6 months to year?
Fish said it perfect! No one can tell you how long before your ready. Just don't expect to be riding like they do on all those trick DVD's very quickly. That takes years of practice and alot of money to fix what you break! Just be happy ridin' and ride cool. Chicks dig the bikes, you can be parked and get the looks and admiration everyone at 18 wants! And practice makes perfect! Don't rush it! Safer is better than crashin'! I am sure everyone will agree it just takes time. Riding is a new life in itself...you will feel free! Then; as Fish said; You will feel "confident & compatent" and can try some of the tricky stuff. And alost as important as your own skill, watch out for other drivers! Take it from me, if they don't ride they can't always see you or just aren't looking for you. I spent 3 weeks in a coma, and 6 months at a brain rehab clinic healing after a 55 year old woman pulled out in front of me. She never saw me until it was too late. You may feel it, but you are not invincable on a bike! And always wear your helmet! After the crash I am extreme PRO-HELMET! it saved my life so I could ride again! Good luck Jr. (That just sounds good for a rookie rider! lol) any questions don't hesitate to ask!

[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 07-27-2005, 03:24 AM

Well thanks again for all the advice. Ive been scouting out kawasaki ninja 250's because these are not too expensive. What do you guys think of this model? any recommendations for better years or .....?my budget... well hopefully my dads :-D is around 2500-3k max, cheeper the better. I hope i can learn lots from this and get a cbr or possibly a r6 next once i feel confident Now any real suggestions for riding gear? Ive got a helment.. full face, brand new, dad bought it like 10 months ago for me. gloves, pants, jacket? thanks again.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Retired Admin

A good mantra to follow is to "Ride for the crash" if you are ready when you go out you will be safe. So Helmet is great, just be sure it is DOT & SNELL approved. If it isn't SNELL approved it isn't a great helmet. HJC makes some great products, thats what saved my ***! Gloves are esential, be sure they are padded. Not just any gloves will work. Knuckle and palm pads or even skid plates are needed. ICON makes a great glove. They can be pricey but I am sure your dad wont mind spending a few more bucks to protect his son! TEKNIC and Joe Rocket are good as well. All of these brands make jackets as well. As for pants and boots just be sure you've got pants on and not shorts, jeans are perfect. ANd shoes make sure they tie and are not slip on or sandals. You want good traction and they should be high enough to cover your ankles.

As for the bike, if you want something BRAND NEW and CHEAP the 250 is perfect! # grand will just about get you something off the floor! I was curious...should have asked this earlier...are you riding alone? Any of your friends ridin' right now too? and where do you live? The city? The country? Smooth roads? Hills and bumps? All this stuff comes into play. And dending on some of those answers you may want to consider dropping a few years off the bike and picking up an EX500. Still safe and will last you alot longer before you get bored. Check out these pics just to compare a few models:

[IMG]local://upfiles/833/A3E890A4C8D540F9B4E142E0446F0D1A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/833/5CCA879C420041A79F9E99F730C6E1B6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/833/D10F0CD4C64B46C58B10296C092B5968.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/833/E172D49A1A5F45679E4D76D32794A6EB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/833/CC3CD2AD49054C39955DBCA8DDDE8045.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Good starter bike