CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Gear, S curves, and embarrassment!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear, S curves, and embarrassment!

Today I experienced my first crash. I call it a crash cuz accidents are usually unavoidable. This was DEFINITELY avoidable, and wouldn't have happened if I had more riding experience.

I was riding to class, and made it to campus. It starts when I sped up to about 40-45mph to catch a light, in retrospect going the speed limit (30mph) would have sufficed. I never realized until today just how uneven this intersection was (two smalls hills) both of which tossed my rear off the seat as I crossed the intersection, thus taking my weight off the suspension, even if only momentarily. I made it trough the intersection fine, but a little uneasy about what just happened, what happens next is where I learned a lesson I won't soon forget.

After making it through the light I began applying brakes as the street goes into a wide swooping S curve. I braked before entering, slowing my speed to 30mph. I began to take the first part of the curve and realized I was kind of wide. Instead of keeping my head up and eyes where I wanted to be I looked at the curb and thought to myself "I'm going to hit it". I straightened the bike and applied both brakes. Definitely way harder than I should have. My front tire hit the curb and the rest is a faded memory.

Next I knew I was tossed off the bike high side, and felt my body hit the pavement. I managed to keep my helmet from making contact with the asphalt and thankfully my jacket and gloves saved me from any would be road rash, the jeans and sturdy shoes I was wearing helped too.

I bounced and threw myself into a roll to avoid sliding across the street. I stood up immediately once I realized I wasn't in any physical pain (although embarrassment has a funny way of hurting a lot more than anything I've ever felt lol). The bike took some damage to the fairings, my frame sliders saved it from any real damage but after this experience I thought it best to email the professor, and forget about class. I had the bike towed back to my apt complex where it sits now, tomorrow I will be doing a more thorough inspection for any fall damage.

Lesson learned: Gear saves skin and lives, and looking where you want to go is key in avoiding a crash. Oh and after reviewing the incident (I had about 2 hours to do so while awaiting a flat bed to arrive) I would have made the turn if I kept my eyes up and not been afraid to lean into the turn a little more.

I share this in hopes that anyone new to riding can learn from my experience. -Blessings, ride safe!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:39 PM

Always sucks to lay one down. Glad that you are ok, and hopefully there is no real damage (other than your pride.) I remember laying my GSXR down after spending a few weeks polishing the frame, right in front of work, in front of my coworkers. Cracked a couple fairings, but came out OK as I was working at a dealership and a buddy in the body shop fixed them up for me for like $50. Unfortunately, the pride took more than $50 worth of damage.

Hope you get back on the road quickly!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

That really sucks! glad to hear that you're ok and that there was minimal damage to the bike; also glad to hear that the fairings were on the bike! when I got ran off the road my lower fairings were off so I rashed up my frame and radiator, big bummer. Now you have an excuse to change any thing on it. How did your frame sliders hold up?

Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear this galequin. Glad you are ok...that's the important thing.

You are to be commended for posting your story & trying to help others.

Good luck w/ repairs. Get back on the horse as soon as you can.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Default Need help!

First and foremost thank you all for your concern and support in all this. The camaraderie and mutual respect I find on this site is unlike anything I've ever seen, and more than I would've expected when joining cbrf... In short you guys are GREAT!!!

Now for the post-fall inspection. While inspecting the bike for fall damage I noticed some hoses came undone in the fall (all fuel related from the carbs to the little plastic part directly under the gas tank, dunno what it's called it has a filter in it though, and the air ram plugs into it). The left side frame slider took the fall, it's rashed up a bit and a little bent but nothing too bad, I'm sure I can bend it back and retighten the bolt haven't given a real effort quite yet.

I recharged my battery, reconnected the hoses and did some clean up (oil had found its way onto and around these hoses and the carbs). I figured since there was no visible damage other than the aforementioned I should be able to start the bike right up?

Unfortunately that is not the case . No crank, no clicks from the battery, just one strong click when I press the starter button... might it be the tip sesnor? if so where would it be located??? Could I have done damage to the bike else where that would cause this?

all fuses check out and all preliminary diagnoses accounted for so I know it's nothing like that... can anyone help me get my baby running again? Might it be time for a new battery?

Last edited by galequin; 02-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr

Good luck w/ repairs. Get back on the horse as soon as you can.
+1 for getting back on the horse asap i know a few ppl that fell and didnt get back on right away couldnt anymore because of fear!! that would be terrible i love riding its like another world out there. hope its not going to be to much work to get her road worthy again good luck

Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by galequin
First and foremost thank you all for your concern and support in all this. The camaraderie and mutual respect I find on this site is unlike anything I've ever seen, and more than I would've expected when joining cbrf... In short you guys are GREAT!!!

Now for the post-fall inspection. While inspecting the bike for fall damage I noticed some hoses came undone in the fall (all fuel related from the carbs to the little plastic part directly under the gas tank, dunno what it's called it has a filter in it though, and the air ram plugs into it). The left side frame slider took the fall, it's rashed up a bit and a little bent but nothing too bad, I'm sure I can bend it back and retighten the bolt haven't given a real effort quite yet.

I recharged my battery, reconnected the hoses and did some clean up (oil had found its way onto and around these hoses and the carbs). I figured since there was no visible damage other than the aforementioned I should be able to start the bike right up?

Unfortunately that is not the case . No crank, no clicks from the battery, just one strong click when I press the starter button... might it be the tip sesnor? if so where would it be located??? Could I have done damage to the bike else where that would cause this?

all fuses check out and all preliminary diagnoses accounted for so I know it's nothing like that... can anyone help me get my baby running again? Might it be time for a new battery?
Glad you are okay dude definately don't like to see injured bikers esp cbr riders LOL. Kinda like my extended family. But that thing that had the filter in it is called the airbox. If its the huge black thing under the gas take with a bunch of hoses connected to it. Those things are easy to put back on. Also Does your lights come on if they do then the battery might be fine. I remember when my crazy ex kicked over my motorcycle mine wouldn't start either, turned out that I just needed to take the plugs out and clean them off because oil had gotten into the cylinders when it was on its side, Im guessing this is your problem. Pull your spark plugs (its a pain to do) and hit the starter with the plugs out. This should shoot any oil out of the cylinders. Make sure you put a towel or something over it so you dont spray oil everywhere, I did this to myself when i did it for the first time and covered my entire porch in oil LOL. Also clean the plugs off and chuck them back in, then recharge the battery and try to start it. If this doesn't work then i dont know. Also if there is oil in the cylinders then the bike will burn it while running so white smoke coming from the tail pipe will be normal for a little while until it all burns off. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:39 PM

We will be ridin soon brotherin