CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Troubled bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubled bike

My 2000 600F4 seems to be having some issues with power. I hear all thius talk about how this bike is great and really pulls but mine seems to be slow off the line. Ive changed plugs, checked wires, added sea foam, changed oil. I've spent money on a K&N air filter. When I bought my back tire the mechanic said I should look into a new chain and I just have'nt had the money to do that yet. Now I havent pulled the carbs off cause they seam a bit difficult to pull. The guy I bought the bike from was the original owner and he said he kept proper maintenance on it and it was kept in a heated garage during the winters. This bike seems to lack so much power that I cant even get it to stand up in 2nd gear when I pop the clutch.
The original owner did remove stock exhaust and put on some Pep Boys exhaust tip for like a truck on the bike to make it LOUD!! I dont know if that could have damaged anything.. I hope someone out there will read this and point me in the right direction.
Thanks

Old 09-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are the lack of proper exhaust is killing low end power. Also, what are you comparing your "lack of power" to? Are you comparing it to another F4, or some other bike? 600s are not known for having low end power. As a matter of fact the F4 makes its peak power at 12,500rpm (1,000rpm below redline), and max torque at 10,500. Once you get these bikes above 7,000rpm you really notice a difference.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 PM

My last Bike was a ZX900. I know I cant compare the two. I would like to get a new exhaust. I have seen some clip on exhaust on wish.com.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by mjdaily88
My last Bike was a ZX900. I know I cant compare the two. I would like to get a new exhaust. I have seen some clip on exhaust on wish.com.
I wouldn't touch the cheap knock-offs that sell of Wish. The reality is that any exhaust you can buy for the F4 will provide minimal HP gains. A properly tuned, full system, can improve how that power is made. A quality full system will definitely save you weight, but unless you are racing, that savings will not really be noticeable. On the other hand, a cheap exhaust system will make your bike louder, but can actually hurt performance.

If you want to know if your bike is actually "slow", you need to compare it to another CBR600F4, otherwise all you are doing is making assumptions.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:22 PM

Put a proper exhaust on the bike. Riding without an exhaust lowers the back pressure of the bike .Imagine trying to push a sled with roller skates on. I ran my bike back in the day with a tip that my brother bought me online and it was terrible untill I put the stock one back on

Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 AM

I bought a slip on off a site and it came Friday. Only thing is it doesn't fit tight. It came with and the day after but it said some welding may be necessary but even if you put it on it doesn't seem to line up with the bolt for the support can I cut the canister off my stock and weld it up. Or do I need to by something else. My 600 doesn't seem to have much power, can't even stand it up in second gear or first.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mjdaily88
I bought a slip on off a site and it came Friday. Only thing is it doesn't fit tight. It came with and the day after but it said some welding may be necessary but even if you put it on it doesn't seem to line up with the bolt for the support can I cut the canister off my stock and weld it up. Or do I need to by something else. My 600 doesn't seem to have much power, can't even stand it up in second gear or first.
Did you buy a cheap *** one off of WISH, or did you buy a quality slip on (obviously not due to fitment issues)? As we've said before, you get what you pay for. Also, "standing it up" is not an accurate description of making "much power". Your seat of the pants assessment is based upon riding a more powerful bike. You either need to ride a properly tuned CBR600F4 to compare or take it in and have it dynoed and then compare your numbers to the spec numbers. A brand new F4 put out 110hp @ 12,500 and 47ftlbs of torque @ 10,500. Notice that top horsepower is only 1,000rpm from redline, and top torque is not much lower than that. This bike is not a drag racer.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:02 PM

I got it from Amazon but it was still cheap

Old 09-25-2018, 07:24 PM

So you need to step up and get a quality exhaust. With a proper exhaust, made for the F4, there will be no welding needed. Unless, of course, the old canister was cut off, rather than simply unbolted. And really, if it wasn't cut off, why not just bolt up the stock exhaust and see if that makes a difference? Sure it will be quieter, but at least you know that it was built specifically for your bike. If you want performance, you can't half-*** things and cheap out.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:32 AM

That's what I'm running now is the stock exhaust. I don't know if an adjustment needs to be made cuz when I turn the throttle it doesn't respond right away

Quick Reply: Troubled bike