CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Fuel pump issues.. I need help desperately

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having this same problem, I can get the bike to start with starting fluid then it will start pinging and dies. After the bike dies it starts dumping gas out of the over flow line on the fuel pump. I have tested all the electrical according to the service manual and nothing.

So I finally ordered a new pump should be in by this Friday so guess we will see what happens.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:19 PM

you sure there arent any clogs after the fuel pump? the pump could cycle and push gas but if there is clog the built up pressure would shut the pump off, and kind of trick the pump into thinking there already is enough gas in the injectors, thus shutting it off again... maybe some fuel line/injector cleaning may help.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kayter515
you sure there arent any clogs after the fuel pump? the pump could cycle and push gas but if there is clog the built up pressure would shut the pump off, and kind of trick the pump into thinking there already is enough gas in the injectors, thus shutting it off again... maybe some fuel line/injector cleaning may help.
I'll double check it I plan on also taking the carbs off and also cleaning them.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:31 PM

I got my fuel pump today, now I'm just waiting on the transfer relay to come so I can put it all together. I was second guessing myself this weekend and decided to test the transfer relay again with a different test where you power it up instead of just jump past it. Well when I was putting power to it my two leads touched together and they were touching the relay as well and I smoked it. So after I get that I'll let you know if it works yog182. Good luck with the new bike if you end up with it, I'm gonna stand by my girl. I've had her since high school when she was stock as a rock. Over time I've modded her out and made it my own. I'll probably never get rid of what has become my favorite bike.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM

I gave up and took mine to the shop just for a diagnostic check.. I knew the one guy that works there so he is testing everything. I will post up what they find. Hopefully your pump solves your issue... The guy sold the 636 which was kinda of upsetting after me getting money and insurance around. I am going up to look at an f4i this weekend.. But i will let you know what happens with the F4.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Is there a way to check just the relays without having them plugged in

Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM

To test the relays you have to take them out and you can put power to them and then check for voltage between the points that should be energized when the relay is powered. Or you can take the relay off and jumper across the points on the plug to make the bike think the relay is activated. If you are doing the powering them up method be careful not to fry them like I did with one of mine by touching the leads together on accident. Good luck

I put my

Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM

I put my fuel pump and new relay in last night and everything seems to be working as normal again. We'll have to wait awhile to see if the problem shows up again since it was intermittent. Hopefully this is it and you guys can figure yours out too and get them back on the road.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by cbrf4bp
I put my fuel pump and new relay in last night and everything seems to be working as normal again. We'll have to wait awhile to see if the problem shows up again since it was intermittent. Hopefully this is it and you guys can figure yours out too and get them back on the road.
wich relay was it that went bad?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:53 AM

It was my Fuel Pump Transfer Relay. It's the second one in from the back of the bike on right hand side of the tail. It's blue under the black rubber and has five pins. Mine didn't go bad until I smoked it testing it, my fuel pump was the culprit, but in testing it I blew it up.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issues.. I need help desperately