CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

fuel filter quesitons.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter quesitons.

Hi guys, just getting my bike out for the summer and i noticed that my fuel filter sometimes is full / half full/ and then almost cant see any gas in it.
The pump is vibrating like crazy and its brand new. Sometimes its on sometimes it not.

When it looked like their was no gas in it, i took it for a 10 minute drive then let it idle still looks like nothing but it kept running.
Can u give me some input?
Thanks

Old 04-28-2013, 06:46 AM

No one knows if their fuel filter stays full??

Old 04-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would assume that it should stay full, but that's just an opinion not fact.

If the fuel pump is working properly, you might pull the petcock.

Check the screens on it for possible obstructions/partial blockage that is preventing your pump from keeping up.

Sorry I can't give a more definitive statement, but it's not an area I am expert in.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Worth a shot but I dont wanna drain the tank so my thought is pull the line switch it to off then on real quick lol

Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM

if the bike is running good dont worry, it s fine if the fuel filter isnt full one hundred percent. if the bike isnt running normal then worry.

from what i see on mine, when its first cranked up and running the fuel filter might not look full (its not primed so to speak). when i pull off and start riding the fuel system primes and starts pulling fuel better and it pulls more fuel through the filter, if that makes sense.

think of it like this, when its not running fuel looks low in the filter because it needs to be primed and the pump needs to be putting preesure through the system. then when its running for a little bit the fuel level in the filter will be higher if not full due to the constant pressure of the pump doing its job while running for a bit.

bottom line= if its running good dont worry about what the fuel level in the filter looks like or what little noises the pump makes, if its operating properly it will prime itself and pull fuel through the fuel system like its supposed to. good question though.

ps- im using the tube shaped clear aftermarket filter from most auto stores with removable/ reusable screen because my oem filter was getting clogged every oil change due to trash in tank (tiny rust particles too small to clogg up carb jets but small enough to clogg fabric filters or oem) i got tired of replacing them for 20 bucks a pop. i tried useing the cheap 2.99 fabric filter from the auto parts store and it made my bike feel hesitant and it was restricting the fuel flow compared to the oem honda filter. the clear tube shaped filter with removable screen allows me to see if its getting fuel flow and any debris in fuel, also its allows the right ammount of fuel pressure to flow so it runs right. its a 40 micron filter, i'll have to look it up again but, im pretty sure that oem is 30 micron.
just a little fyi stuff

Last edited by cBrentb; 04-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 PM

Fuel line is 3/8" size.
I hade to change mine because the original one was getting kinked.
Fuel filter is now almost full all the time.
So i answered my own question lol.
Owell, info for someone else