CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Fuel Cut off relay - purpose??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Cut off relay - purpose??

Does anybody know what the fuel cut off relay does (besides what is says). What kicks it on/off and why do we need one?? When is it supposed to cut fuel?? I haven't been able to find an answer for this.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 AM

Im guessing thats the tilt cut off switch designed so if you drop the bike it will cut the fuel which i THINK is to stop it flooding the engine and leaking.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM

i had to replace the fuel cut off relay when my fuel pump went out and i found out the PO put a fuel pump on it from Advance Auto. i'm pretty sure it's just on our bikes to make the wiring more complicated. haha, i really am not sure exactly what it does, but i do know it kept that Advance Auto fuel pump from burning up my fuel pump relay or any wires.

sorry i'm not much help. i'd like to know exactly what it does as well.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER88
Im guessing thats the tilt cut off switch designed so if you drop the bike it will cut the fuel which i THINK is to stop it flooding the engine and leaking.
99' and 00' F4's don't have a Bank Angle sensor which is what you described. Only the Fi models have those. And they are located under the front fairing near the nose.

"The ECM controls power to the fuel pump by switching the fuel cut relay on or off."

That's directly out of Honda's "Fuel Induction" Resource Guide.

The relay is nothing but an on and off switch controlled by the ECM. Does the same exact thing for Carbed bikes and Fi model bikes.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoDan
99' and 00' F4's don't have a Bank Angle sensor which is what you described. Only the Fi models have those. And they are located under the front fairing near the nose.

"The ECM controls power to the fuel pump by switching the fuel cut relay on or off."

That's directly out of Honda's "Fuel Induction" Resource Guide.

The relay is nothing but an on and off switch controlled by the ECM. Does the same exact thing for Carbed bikes and Fi model bikes.
what happens when the fuel pump begins clicking at every pump? Is that the fuel prime that needs to be turned on by switching the on and off switch in nexus? That wouldn’t be a fault of the fuel cut off relay, right?

Old 06-08-2023, 12:13 AM
Received 432 Likes on 391 Posts

"fuel cut relay" is bad translation from Japanese. Just "fuel pump relay" and it makes much more sense.

Unlike EFI system, the fuel-pump is controlled by fuel-pump relay with ignition pulses. At idle and low speed, there's few pulses-per-second and just little bit of petrol is pumped. At higher RPMs, there's more ignition pulses-per-second and pump is pulsed more to deliver more fuel to match demands. Ingenious solution to vary fuel-volume based upon load.

Clicking of fuel-pump is it being pulsed by ignition pulses. Rev up engine and you'll hear clicking increase. Also look onto "solid state pump upgrade", which converts mechanical clicker at bottom of pump with electronic version. Like going from mechanical points ignition to electronic.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
"fuel cut relay" is bad translation from Japanese. Just "fuel pump relay" and it makes much more sense.

Unlike EFI system, the fuel-pump is controlled by fuel-pump relay with ignition pulses. At idle and low speed, there's few pulses-per-second and just little bit of petrol is pumped. At higher RPMs, there's more ignition pulses-per-second and pump is pulsed more to deliver more fuel to match demands. Ingenious solution to vary fuel-volume based upon load.

Clicking of fuel-pump is it being pulsed by ignition pulses. Rev up engine and you'll hear clicking increase. Also look onto "solid state pump upgrade", which converts mechanical clicker at bottom of pump with electronic version. Like going from mechanical points ignition to electronic.
i have a video and the fuel pump noise is as loud as the motorcycle at idle. Everyone else doesn’t have a loud fuel pump. Is that the pump requiring to be primed?