CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

front end shake when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end shake when braking

so i got my bike back together and i am having two issues but one is more annoying then the other. when the front brakes are applied i get alot of shaking on the brakes through the handlebars. i tightend the stem nut and the front end down good but i didnt have a torque wrench on it or anything. any thoughts would be appreciated. i also think im getting noise out of the cam chain tensioner..has anyone just used the bolt trick with success? anyways any thoughts or help would be great!!

Old 09-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Pull each rotor off and check to see if it is warped, pulsing when the brakes are applied is a strong case for warped rotors. If they are warped I am selling a set of OEM ones if you want, I mic'ed them and they still have a lot of life left.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 PM

CJ I would totally buy them off you if it didn't involve a fortune in p&p getting them here!!!
What do you have to replace your OEM ones?

I have front end shake and it's due to a warped rotor. Have a look to see if you have uneven wear of the front break pads. If not there is a chance both rotors could be warped!

I believe when the steering head bearing needs replacing it can cause vibrations under braking, I would get a second opinion on that though. If you hear a knock when pumping the front suspension with the front wheel locked then your bearing needs replacing.

I have not tried the CCT bolt fix but replacing it was easy enough. Have a look in the f4i section for a good sticky how to.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I swapped to 320mm EBC contour pros and if they dont wor out for me I will probably save up for some Ferodo's, I here they work well with Carbone Loraines. But, that leaves me with a set of front and rear F4 brake rotors and a set of 1000rr front rotors.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might also want to check the steering head bearings are torqued properly. Had something similar on my HP4 near 1st service.

It's amazing BMW can produce such a wonder of technology. But apparently nobody there knows how to turn a torque wrench.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:38 PM

when i assembled the front end i was not quite sure how far i should have the bars on the forks.is there a measurement for how much of the forks should be exposed when assembled? thanks i think the rotors are fine the donor bike only had 12k on the clock so they look like new oem still. im gonna reassemble the steering stem and double check tightness. thanks for any input

Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Reassembling the head and torquing it to the right spec might help, but I would still examine the rotors, you will find warping has little to do with mileage. On the forks there is an indent where a stopper ring goes (P/N 90657-MR7-000) your clip-ons go right below that with the top triple next.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:58 AM

so there should be no room beetween the clip on and that ring?i have a couple of inches of fork beetween this ring and where the clip on is on top of the top triple.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Old 09-22-2013, 02:27 PM

well yea what i have is wrong...feel kinda stupid but the donor bike was set up with some room beetween the ring and the clip on.so i dont feel too bad. but ill set them up a little higher.thanks for the visual!!

Quick Reply: front end shake when braking