CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F4 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/)
-   -   fork spring help (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4-18/fork-spring-help-133142/)

hikeetech 12-23-2011 11:09 PM

fork spring help

I am thinking about replacing the stock fork springs (30,000km) with progressive springs and was wondering if anyone here has done it or there is a how to somewhere here.

Thanks in advance.

MadHattr059 12-24-2011 06:07 AM

Easy to do. CAREFULLY pull the caps, AFTER supporting the front of the bike. Fish the springs out, replace/top-off the fork oil. Drop in new springs, replace caps.

With 30k, be sure to check the fork seals and steering head bearings, no use going
to this trouble, only to turn around and have to deal with these issues a few kilometers further down the road.

Ern

hikeetech 12-24-2011 12:50 PM

I have to replace the caps?

If I check the fork seals and steering head bearings, do I have to lift the front end of the bike? Will I have to get a special front bike stand? or these motorcycle lift will do. I dont know where to support the bike with these lifts. I dont think put all the weight on the header is a good idea.
link for the bike lift Motorcycle Jack | Canadian Tire

hikeetech 12-24-2011 12:56 PM

somehow, I cant find the forks springs for my bike (00 CBR600 F4) on www.progressivesuspension.com

gotcbr 12-24-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by hikeetech (Post 1120788)
I have to replace the caps?

If I check the fork seals and steering head bearings, do I have to lift the front end of the bike? Will I have to get a special front bike stand? or these motorcycle lift will do. I dont know where to support the bike with these lifts. I dont think put all the weight on the header is a good idea.
link for the bike lift Motorcycle Jack | Canadian Tire

While you can just change the springs, why not go ahead & do a full fork service? Remove, replace springs, replace oil, replace w/ new seals (dust & oil on ea side), done.

I'd recommend supporting the front of the bike, whether by front stand that lifts by lower triple or some other manner that can lift the front of the bike...remove forks, service, reinstall. While forks are out, you can check steering head bearings & replace if necessary.

While I don't like supporting the bike by the header, as long as you put a block of wood under the header, btwn the header & jack, you're most likely ok. However, safety-wise, not as secure as a front stand or stapped up by hoist.

MadHattr059 12-24-2011 06:20 PM

"Replace the caps", as in- screw them back down, not as in- get new ones.

Yes. you have to take the weight off the front end or the bike will fall forward when
the springs/caps are no longer supporting the bike.

+1 (as usual) to Gotcbr's prefered methods for supporting the bike. A pair of ratcheting cargo straps from the ceiling is the cheapest method (I'd recommend that, if you aren't planning to do a lot of front-end work on multiple bikes and want
to forgo the front stand purchase). Using a 2-point connection ensures the
side-to-side stability of the bike. The farther apart they are at the ceiling anchors
the better.

You might have to leave a message at progressive for their fitment for the f4, I had
no better luck looking than you did. Here's a alternate spring, I did find...
Race Tech Fork Springs - Honda CBR600F4 1999 to 2000 - KneeDraggers.com

Hope all of this helps, Ern

hikeetech 12-24-2011 10:01 PM

"A pair of ratcheting cargo straps from the ceiling is the cheapest method"----that is an amazing idea. I will probably do that instead of spending 100$ on a motorcycle jack.

Has anyone here tried Race tech fork springs?

gotcbr 12-27-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by hikeetech (Post 1120847)
...Has anyone here tried Race tech fork springs?

I've recommended Race Tech components in other threads. They are excellent quality.

hikeetech 12-28-2011 07:44 PM

there are two sizes for me to choose from: 0.95 and 0.10. Which one should I pick and what is the difference?

gotcbr 12-28-2011 07:56 PM

Race Tech
Phone: 951.279.6655
info@racetech.com
sales@racetech.com