CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Flooded engine carb help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded engine carb help

I was hit not to long ago on my 00 f4 and it bent my kickstand so I took it off and my dad heated it up and bent it back and I cut the kickstand sensor and wired it together and tested it an tried leaning the bike on a jackstand an dropped it, and it shorted out my led lights and I didn't know and it ran my battery dead because they came on and stayed on for a week... Anyway I tried starting it repetitively and giving it gas a lot and poping the clutch and nothin happened except it would almost start but it just shot flames out the exhaust, also the choke was on for a couple days I dont know if that has anything to do with it, it was off while the choke was on. If it is flooded, does that mean I will have to take the gas tank off and empty the carburetor or is there something else I could do? Guides vids anything would be helpful if that's the problem? I haven't rode in a month, and everyone at school keeps asking where my bike is so please help for my fellow classmates sake!

Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Start by pulling the plugs out and see if they are soaked with fuel and clean them. Then post up and we can take it from their.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Did some more research, called my friend who's a mech, so this is what he said

could definitely be flooded, and hydro locked with fuel... when the carb'd hondas had tip-overs, the floats would stay open and let gas pour down into the cylinders...

1. Pull plugs, see if they are wet.
2. Pull carbs off motor and hit the starter switch (plugs still out)... May want some rags to stop from splashing everywhere.
3. Drain oil into a clean oil pan, look for signs (and odors) of fuel in your oil... If the carbs dumped fuel into the cylinders, it will slowly work its way around the rings.
4. overfill crankcase (by 0.5 liters) with used or cheap oil (not the oil with the fuel), turn the starter briefly, and drain. Repeat this step if you still have major signs of fuel, skip this step if you had no signs of fuel in step 3.
5. Replace oil filter and fill to spec with oil of your choice.
6. Clean and replace carbs... with special attention to moving float bowl parts.
7.Replace plugs with new ones (a cheaper option is to bake yours in your oven at 350 F for 20-30 min). before you install the 4th plug, put it in the boot, and ground it. Briefly hit starter and look for spark.
8. If you didn't get a spark in step 7, time to check the electrical system. Start by jumping out TOS. If this is not the case, you may want to borrow an ECU to test... If these two things don't gain you spark... become an electrical expert or bring it to somebody who knows their way around the bike with their fluke.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Did some more research, called my friend who's a mech, so this is what he said
Wow thanks a lot for going that far to help me. I'm in school now and Im gonna wait tell my brother gets outa his college classes to help me because he was the one born with the mechanical mind haha. I'll let ya know what happens thanks again!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

yea no prob! hope you get it back up and running. I wish he lived closer so he could help me out more often! Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
yea no prob! hope you get it back up and running. I wish he lived closer so he could help me out more often! Good luck and keep us posted.
Hey we got down to the carbs and they were full of gas but we want to know if there's a drain plug on the f4? I can't find one

Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM

A drain plug on the carb that is

Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

hmm on the carbs? I'll find out tmr I'm pulling out my carbs to replace a CCT. But off the top of my head I cant think of one. and flipping through my manual I don't see any mention of one. well its a good excuse to clean your carbs

Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 PM

Haha we cleaned them. Afterwards though I recharged the battery and tried starting it this morning and still couldn't get it to start! Im lost on trouble shooting this thing now!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

did you g through the other steps? Hmmm, so far what have you done?

Quick Reply: Flooded engine carb help