CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Finally got enough money to buy my first!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got enough money to buy my first!

Hey everyone, I was looking at this bike:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2024016626.html
(guy listed it as an F4i for some reason)

I checked it out and what I noticed was it had fallen on both sides (sliders both had rash) and I found a ziptie under the seat on a metal thing. I don't know much about bikes but I was wondering if I should worry about that, or is that just for holding some tubes in place?

Also I noticed the paint job was dingy, especially around the tank. The pictures make it look nicer than it is, but I do like the color scheme!

Other then that the bike sounded really great and the guy said it has no problems at all, I'm going back to look at it and test ride it.

I want a bike that runs great till I decide to upgrade to a newer one so what should I really look out for?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Xenetic; 11-05-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be really bothered by any bike that's been dropped on both sides. The cable tie, could be a simple matter or something that's serious - can't tell from your description.
Take someone with you who knows a LOT about bikes - not just a buddy who knows maybe a little.
You don't want to be stuck with a lemon.
From what you've said, the bike hasn't been looked after, so for me, I would probably give it a miss. The right one will come along....
Hope this helps

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM

As long as she rides straight, I'd say for your first bike, it looks good.

You will lay it down learning how to ride.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KBB is $2,410. Of course, you adjust for mileage, condition, & additional equipment.

*IF* the bike is as stated in the ad, then its not a bad deal. However, I'd try to get the price down a couple of hundred, if possible. It can't hurt to ask. Plus, remember...cash talks.

Seller lists that there's; new tires, new chain, new battery, new mirrors, a TwoBros exhaust, & fresh maintenance. These would cost you a considerable amount. So, I'd take that into account. Also, appears to have a nice aftermarket seat (or seatcover). That's worth something as well.

I always recommend asking the seller to let you have a factory Honda shop do a thorough inspection (which you'd pay for & benefits the seller as well). They would alert you to any problems that you might not see or be aware of. However, if this is not an option, as mentioned - take someone w/ you that knows what to look/listen for & that can do a very thorough inspection.

Good luck on your shopping. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM

I guess I'll wait for a better one to come along, might as well buy a newer one. It's so hardddddd! Since last year I've been thinking about motorcycles every single day . I want a bike more than a girl, I need an intervention lol

Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll wait for a better one to come along, might as well buy a newer one. It's so hardddddd! Since last year I've been thinking about motorcycles every single day . I want a bike more than a girl, I need an intervention lol
I think you made the right choice. I wouldn't drop $2500 on a carbed bike that was 12yrs old and had been dropped on both sides.
Take your time, the right one will come along and you'll know it.
I know it's hard, though, when you've got the "bug". lol...
And +1 on taking someone along with you who knows bikes pretty well. That can be a big help.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:21 PM

keep searching you will find one. Its really hard to wait though

My F4 is my first bike as well!

Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Looks like the post is gone cause I cant see it but if it was $2500 for a f4 and its been dropped on both sides walk away! I think you could find an F4i for around $2500, keep looking...if you have to ask if its a good deal then its probably not. And if you dont know much about bikes defiantly take someone that does with you, they can point out things you might overlook.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be putting that one in the $1400 - $1700 bracket given what you have observed

Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM

thanks everyone, I'm taking your advice to heart and I'm going to wait till I have $3000 for a f4i, should only be another week! As long as I have you guys to keep me sane, i'll make it

Quick Reply: Finally got enough money to buy my first!