CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

a few total noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few total noob questions

hello everyone, just picked up my first sport bike, a 2000 f4, and have a few questions..

i do not have a manual and am looking around ebay for one, but in the mean time i am trying to discover what the little semi-clear container with high-low marks and a black lid is? it is near the low level, is this a oil indicator?

also, during the first ride i noticed a odd rattling sound coming from the front, it seemed to go away at anything above about 20 mph or so, but it was very loud when i would hit any bumps in the road.. i am wondering if perhaps the bike is out of adjustment since i am heavier (230) then the previous rider? I dont know anything about adjusting the suspension so i suppose i will have to wait until i can get a manual for that.

but right now i am just trying to discover the oil level so i can at least know the motor wont be ruined if i go out for a ride or two..

thanks

Last edited by Taco22; 03-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:04 AM

Welcome to the forum first off. The little black lidded container is the brake fluid reservoir. I'm not sure what the noise up front would be.

Also my manual is one I downloaded off here in PDF form. It's way too big to print off but it gets me by. I know some people just prefer the book manual but thought I'd throw that out there for ya..

Old 03-08-2009, 03:15 PM
KLO

welcome aboard...d/l the pdf version and just print the sections you need and put it in a binder to make your own manual.

as for rattling...i suggest feel for everything..whether it a loose fairing to the radiator rubbing on something

good luck wit it

Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/CBR/CBR600/

Here is the manual. I believe the semi clear container you are talking about is the rear break reservoir. The oil window is on the right side in front of the foot peg. You will see the little window. Make sure your bike is on front and rear stands so you can get an accurate level.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the help all, as well as the link to the manual, was going to try to buy one off ebay before I knew their was one available online.

2 more quick questions if I could, both indicators work, but the front left one stays solid all the time, while the other one is off until you attempt to indicate a turn. My brother says that the two indicator lights should always be on and solid ( running lights in the front?), like on his vrod, but on my old 80's CSR I never had indicators that stayed solid all the time. So basically I don't know what side is having problems, should they be on and solid all the time or off until you indicate?

The other question i feel rather stupid for asking, but skimming over the manual i couldnt find an answer. What gasoline octane should I use? I put medium in it, but would prefer to know what I am supposed to be using as opposed to just guessing..

thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 PM

I run 93 because the cost difference is next to nothing....

Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
I run 93 because the cost difference is next to nothing....
[R+M/2] 91 octane +

Always run 'premium,' 'super' which is usually 92-94

Old 03-13-2009, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the input..I have only put a few tanks through it, but I will switch to premium from now on.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 PM

[quote=Taco22;755849]Thanks for the help all, as well as the link to the manual, was going to try to buy one off ebay before I knew their was one available online.

I am not sure where you are located, but whenever I need to print something large like that I ask college students. Typically they have printing allowances they don't use. It would cost them just a few bucks to print a few hundred pages.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM

my signals don't stay on all the time and I've yet to see another that do.

It's odd that it's just one side but still, if one is on solid then I think the signal relay is bad.

Quick Reply: a few total noob questions