CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

F4i Stock Exhaust on an F4 (will it fit?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Stock Exhaust on an F4 (will it fit?)

Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the whole forum thing. I stumbled across this site while trying to get a question about my motorcycle answered. I own a 2000 CBR 600 F4 and I love the bike but it was my first bike and like everyone knows you are going to lay your first bike down and low and behold I did. I put the bike down on the right side and scratched the fairing and dented the exhaust. I wanted to put a factory exhaust back on and I got a hell of a deal on a 2003 F4i exhaust. From what I can tell in pictures the muffler looks identical and thats the only piece I need to replace. Does anyone know if a stock F4i muffler will fit onto a F4 without any modification to the bike or retuning of the engine? Any imput would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 06-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Default RE: F4i Stock Exhaust on an F4 (will it fit?)

Anybody have any thoughts for me yet?

Old 06-05-2005, 08:48 PM

hey it should work with no problem at all...
i took a subframe off a 2002 f4i and put it on my 2000 f4 and everything bolted right up to it so vise versa....

Old 06-05-2005, 10:26 PM

hey dad1999_98, thanks for answering my post. you put an f4i subframe on a 2000 huh? Did you do that to do a tail conversion to make your f4 into a split seat? If you did I'd like to see a picture of that I've been thinking about doing that to my yellow beauty. I'll keep you posted and let you know if the F4i exhaust bolts up no problem it should be here in the next few days...if not tomorrow.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dad1999_98

hey it should work with no problem at all...
i took a subframe off a 2002 f4i and put it on my 2000 f4 and everything bolted right up to it so vise versa....

Wrong!! It will not work at all. The midpipe is a completely different bend. There are many parts that are swappable but the exhaust isnt one of them. Ive tried it both ways my bros ex on my f4 and my ex on his f4i. Wont work.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 AM

I know this is a dead thread - however - jonld (anyone) could you describe how the pipe didn't fit at all?

I've got an F4. I'd like to mount an F4i system (found it at a great price). I wounder where it didn't work and wether it might be possible to fabricate/mod the exhaust to fit.

I would have thought the only difference would have been the passenger footpeg being a different position... I had thought it was the same bottom end of the engine - and that if the pipes went under engine you'd be fine either way. The mid pipe mount point would be the other issue - - is that the problem?

I normally don't ask such seemingly silly questions, but I had always thought the 2000 F4 was very simular to the F4i...

Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 AM

the header is diffarent, the midpipe is diffarent and im pretty sure the mounting point (where the hanger connects to the passanger rear set) is diffarent too...

Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM

The midpipe being different is fine though if you went with a full system though - correct? I can't see how that would matter as the lower end is the same between the bikes... right?

The hanger being in the wrong spot - that you would think could be fixed with a custom hanger.

My REAL concern would be that the upper portion of the motor was shaped the same so the full systems headers lined up on the F4. The other possibility would be that the header bolt holes would be at a different angle or seperation.

Sorry - I know you answered the question and said no - won't work - and you're probably 100% correct. I'm just really trying to find out why not - and how much modding you'd have to do to make it fit. It would be an absolute no go if the headers were different. The midpipe bend is fine as that could be bent at most metal shops. The hanger is ok as that could be fabbed.

So - the remaining question is the actual placement of the exhaust holes different on the F4i than the F4, and do they use a different exhaust mounting layout?

Sorry again - just really curious. Curious enough I may buy the cheap system and find out the hard way.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:33 PM

I actually have an f4 frame with an f4i motor and f4 exaust.It will work if you use the whole pipe, headers and can.The only difference is where the header and can join that is why you cant mix and match. The f4 midpipe is about 3 inches longer but the pipe to the can is about 3 inches shorter. The mounting points are the same because they use the same engine cases only the head is different.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 PM

donniekak - that reinforces what I was thinking... sounds like I've got a few pennies to collect.

Anyone looking for an F4 or an F4i system? I may have a pair to sell shortly.

Quick Reply: F4i Stock Exhaust on an F4 (will it fit?)