CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

f4 stalls at 15 mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4 stalls at 15 mph

I had a bad fuel pump replaced and the bike stalls at 15 mph regardless of what gear you are in. You can pull the clutch in and rev it with no problem, its definitely a speed thing.
What should I check out first?

thanks,
ken

Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably isn't a speed thing but a load thing. What rpm's does it bog down at. My first guesses would be a pinched fuel line, a dirty fuel filter, or a piece of crap got to one of the mains.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM

I can check that stuff out.
It doesnt bog down at an rpm. I can gun it from takeoff and hit 25 mph because of momentum at about 5k and it will shut off on the way. Or i can putt at 2k rpm in 2nd gear and as soon as i hit 15 it will shut off.

Last edited by SloNotch; 07-15-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:36 PM

First: what made you swap the pump?

Second: Define "shut off." Does the bike completely lose electrical power? Does the engine just cut out? Can you immediately hit the starter and have it come back?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM

good point, It seems like it completely loses electrical power which would shut the gas off.
I replaced the pump because the bike would not run while the choke was off. It would stall out immediately upon turning the choke off. (closing/opening, i dont know which is which??) I took it to a shop and they said the pump wasnt supplying constant pressure so it was bad. The shop changed the pump and it ran fine at idle so i thought everything was good. So the bike shop closed, i put the panels and tank on and proceeding to drive it home. I got 20 feet and it shut off after tinkering with it for a while i drove it home at 10 mph for 6 miles. It was pretty much the worst ride of all time.

You can restart it right after it stalls. I can also restart it by turning the throttle quickly after it stalls as long as i'm still moving (kind of like push starting and popping the clutch).

Last edited by SloNotch; 07-15-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM

I think you're mixing some terms up, but if your bike is completely losing all power whatsoever (no lights or anything), then your problem is absolutely electrical. The problem is that everything electrical that is generated when the engine is running works whether the bike is moving or not. Having the bike physically in motion has nothing to do with the electrical system, only the RPMs. Since you can rev the crap out of the bike in neutral and have no issues, you've got a weird problem.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE your bike is losing *ELECTRICAL POWER* at 15MPH?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 PM

I know the bike being in motion doesn't have anything to do with electrical. I was stating that i can restart it with the throttle and not the starter. It sounded good in my head while i was writing it yet might not have made a lot of sense.

I just checked it while it was getting dark. It does not lose all electrical.

Weird problem for sure. I'll be taking it back in tomorrow. You get to your wits end checking every little thing and nothing seems to be wrong. I pulled the fuel line off with the old pump and it pumped gas out of the line into a can while i hit the starter, so i figured it was fine, guess not eh. I haven't ridden it once this summer other than the 10 mph blast last night.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Default its the fuel cut off relay!

i was down for months with the same issue... i tested it every way and repalced everything + had 2 pro shops (including 1 honda pro) look at it costing +1000$...

my bike would just stall out at 15-20 mph.. i put it on a stand, replaced filters, pumps, direct air solenoids... everything!.... finally found that it was the fuel cut of relay...

about a 20$ part on bikebandit.com .. plugged it in... has been working great since..

hope this helps! .... i was about to sell my bike i was so frustrated!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM

I hope thats all it is.

this part?
10:
RELAY, FUEL CUT
(SHINDENGEN),A AC
154489-001 $64.11

Old 07-17-2009, 04:19 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had brand new pumps work like a POS on other vehicles so it still could be the fuel pump

Quick Reply: f4 stalls at 15 mph