CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Engine cut off

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
kes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cut off

Hey guys

can any of help. I am just about ready to microwave my own head!

I have a CBR 600f-y year 2000 with 12 thou miles.

the problem I have is the bike just turns off on me without any reason. It does not matter what sort of revs I am doing and it dont matter what speed I am doing. The engine just switches off and I am left with the oil light on. (It ant the oil) I cant even grab a hand of clutch and bump it back in when she is rolling, it's almost like the kill switch has been hit (but it ant). I have got to turn the key completly off and on and push the starter button before she will fire back up. The weird thing is I had her out last night for an hour or so not a single problem. but today on my way to work (2 miles away) it cut out 7 times. I have changed the air filter, the fuel filter, plugs, changed the oil and filter, checked the batt volt, and checked the movement of the side stand and still it has made no diff...

Please help guys cos to be honest I am ready to just pack her away and forget about her..

Cheers

Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Default RE: Engine cut off

did you check the battery connections?? that is a really easy thing to pass over and it will immediately kill the bike if there is no connection. I'd look at that first

Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
kes

yes mate the batt conections are ok.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
kes

one other thing I just noticed that I never mentioned. when the bike dies on me and I pull it over I have to hit the kill switch on and off before I turn the key to start the engine. If I don't then when I turn the key nothing happens..

Please guys...Any advice would be great!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

I am by no means a great mechanic, but the first thing I would do is to actually take off the battery cables, clean them and put them back on. It doesn't take much corrosion to ruin the connection, and its not always visible without takinthem off. And check the cables over and make surethey're not worn through or something like that. After that, it sounds like there might be a short in the kill switch? Like I said, I'm pretty much a sunday afternoon mechanic, but it seems likethere's got to be a short somewhere. And if the kill switch is giving you problems, then those are my two best guesses.

Good luck, and let us know if you get it figured out!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:37 AM
kes

check batt connections again..all ok...also check kill and it seems ok also...

any other ideas?

Cheers Lads

Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM

so does the bike bog down and then die?? or does it just immediately cut out. Check the temperature when the bike dies.. it might be overheating??

Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM

i have had this issure before and have a great deal of experience with it.
1.did you do anything to it before it happend? new fairings? electrical stuff?

1 check your rectifier, battery... you should be getting about 13.5 volts when fire it and rev it to any rpm... no more than 15v. if your out of that range, change rectifier (and/or battery)
2. check your air solenoid intake tubes... they are just outside of your ram air tubes underneath the front cowl. they need to be up facing forward. they feed the solenoid which feeds and equalizes air in the barrels of your carbs. if they fell down (as mine did when i replaced the front cowl with an aftermarket one) your mixture will become rich in the higher rpms (in gear only... not in neutral) and it will bog and die.
3. make sure the air solenoid valve is working (you can hear it click on and off befroe you fire it up.... turn key, listen, then hit switch to run position... you will hear a pop... it doesnt guarantee its working the way it needs to,but its a start. you can do a full test on it too if you take it out.