CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Do you use clutch or sometime just quick shift thru gears instead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use clutch or sometime just quick shift thru gears instead?

Just wondering, a mate of mine with his R1 was telling me weeks ago that you don't necessarily need to use the clutch all the time... so tried this with upshifts (as it's a damn sight easier than down shifting) and he's right. However, never once did anyone tell me this when learning to ride or on sites etc.

Just wondering, anyone else when they're really pushing when riding not use the clutch and just drop the throttle then change up quickly? Makes the changes soooooo much quicker but there is a problem if you miss it that you rev the **** off the bike as it goes into a kinda neutral.

What's peoples feeling on this? Could it could damage not using the clutch etc?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 AM
Banned

Upshifting and downshifting don't need clutch except for 1-2 shift (much smoother with clutch). 2-6 cannot be over revved because there is no neutral between these gears. Technique is the same for upshifts and downshifts, momentarily relax throttle and switch gear. As you said if done right it is much faster.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by IslandBoy
Upshifting and downshifting don't need clutch except for 1-2 shift (much smoother with clutch). 2-6 cannot be over revved because there is no neutral between these gears. Technique is the same for upshifts and downshifts, momentarily relax throttle and switch gear. As you said if done right it is much faster.
Yeah it's a like a false neutral though, it's like I've not upshifted enough and it then goes into this weird between gears where you think it's in and it's not and you open the revs and it redlines lol.

There is a technique to it, but finding that you can't half tank it if you get it right...

Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Banned

You should not be missing any shifts 2-6. Like I said there is no neutral
between those gears. If you are getting this condition something is wrong
with your trans or clutch pack.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

If Im not mistaken your friend is talking about power shifting, look up clutchless shifting. They are both more track techniques and you weren't taught them because there is no real need for them on the street. But if you are going to do either then master the upshift first; pull in the clutch only slightly (it will help with the missed shifts) than apply a slight pressure to the shift lever and blip the throttle. The bike should feel like there was no shift and no disturbances. Find a big empty parking lot to practice in/on. It will save a lot of unneeded wear on your clutch. I will save the downshift for someone who has been riding longer then me to explain. Unless I am accelerating hard, like say on an on-ramp, I wont even consider clutchless shifting and will use the clutch.

Last edited by CJardine; 08-31-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJardine
If Im not mistaken your friend is talking about power shifting, look up clutchless shifting. They are both more track techniques and you weren't taught them because there is no real need for them on the street. But if you are going to do either then master the upshift first; pull in the clutch only slightly (it will help with the missed shifts) than apply a slight pressure to the shift lever and blip the throttle. The bike should feel like there was no shift and no disturbances. Find a big empty parking lot to practice in/on. It will save a lot of unneeded wear on your clutch. I will save the downshift for someone who has been riding longer then me to explain. Unless I am accelerating hard, like say on an on-ramp, I wont even consider clutchless shifting and will use the clutch.
You're talking about the same thing. For racing you use an ignition interupter to momentarily cut ignition to enable shift.

Safe to do up or down, just relax throttle and hit your gear. Don't recommend for 1-2 shifts. Riding 40 yrs. Never had a problem.

Last edited by IslandBoy; 09-04-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't listen to your friend... Use your clutch.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ i agree, the whole clutchless shifting thing is kinda stupid on a street bike..... say bye bye transmission

Old 08-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

clutchless shift takes practice , however , I've been riding for 30 years and rarely use it . Its for racing . Use your dam clutch !! clutch packs are cheaper and easier to replace than gearbox repairs .

Old 09-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Power shifting and clutchless shifting are different.

Power shifting is when you stay on the throttle and shift without letting off. VERY bad idea on a bike. Drag racing a car sure but it does hurt the tranny. My friends mustang ripped off every tooth on 3rd gear in his old tranny drag racing it.

Quick Reply: Do you use clutch or sometime just quick shift thru gears instead?