CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

dial not turning (at ignition) + damn engine won't start (b/c of cold?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dial not turning (at ignition) + damn engine won't start (b/c of cold?)

once again, i humbly seek the collected knowledge of more experienced and knowledged riders...

FIRST)
i've read that the speed dial SHOULD go up and down once when u first turn on the bike (u know..turn the key to ignition?..dang dun know how u express this action with words) BUT my bike doesn't (i kinda missed that when i first bought the bike) i didn't pay much more attention cuz i didn't think it would be something very SIGNIFICANT..(still hoping it's not)
> is this something i should be VERY worried about? or just something simple that can be amended next i take the bike to the shop?

TWO) the more URGENT issue...
i've been keeping my bike in the building garage cuz it's winter, don't have my license yet, etcetc. (a month now just parked there). i've been taking it outside at least once a week (basically pushing the bike out in neutral) to start the engine, and let it warm up (usually about 3~ 5mins) and then i'd take it back in and park it. but the past week and half i've been so busy and the weather's been rain/snow that i didn't have a chance to do that. i went down yesterday and lo..

IT WON'T START the lights will turn on, but when i turned on the HID, it flickered (actually strobed) and later it won't even turn on. when i hit the ignition button, no sound no clicking either (maybe one).

i tweeted about this and most say the battery's dead.

if true im gonna assume its an old battery. if not... i cant imagine every old bike needs to have its battery replaced after EVERY WINTER SEASON. that'd be ridiculous.

another rider i wait taking it to the shop (if i won't be riding it anyway) until after the end of the winter season to check/change/fix.

i wasn't planning on riding except to practice 1st gear in parking lots on dry days until it got warm again, to practice riding basics (braking, turning mostly)

>> so what can i do? i dunno if i even have the tools to disassemble the fairing at this point (no one really does their own mechanic work in korea. it's all taken to the shops..ergo...diy tools are not that readily available).

is it just cuz it got cold in the parking lot? will warmer temperatures assure ignition? or am i gonna have to call the damn tow car and have it towed to a shop? once again, i did the engine warm up thing to lessen effect of varnish.

im a total newb to big bikes, any and all help, tidbits will be GREATLY appreciated = (

Old 12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) the F4i 'powers on and rotates' the tach when the key is first turned on.. the F4 does not.

2) check your kill switch on the right hand side clipon. If it is on, look at your headlight as you push the start switch.. if the headlight dims while you push the start button.. the battery is weak.. if the light doesnt dim at all, it isnt the battery.

If the lights dont go on, it very well might be the battery.. put it on a charger... you can jump start from a car though.. make sure that the car IS NOT running.. connect cables and try to start it.. but personally, sinc eyou arent riding due to the weather.. just charge it up and try again.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Default oh.didn know that about the f4

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
1) the F4i 'powers on and rotates' the tach when the key is first turned on.. the F4 does not.

2) check your kill switch on the right hand side clipon. If it is on, look at your headlight as you push the start switch.. if the headlight dims while you push the start button.. the battery is weak.. if the light doesnt dim at all, it isnt the battery.

If the lights dont go on, it very well might be the battery.. put it on a charger... you can jump start from a car though.. make sure that the car IS NOT running.. connect cables and try to start it.. but personally, sinc eyou arent riding due to the weather.. just charge it up and try again.
i think it's the battery alright. i texted the previous owner and he told me if i don't start the engine every once in a while, the battery dies. and the lights DO dim/flicker when i push the ignition... guess im buying a new battery next year.

as for jump start.. i have a feeling that means unscrewing the whole fairing.. = (.. man gonna consult the service manual. thanks for the info! ^^... oh.. and i DON'T start the car after i hook it up to the bike? i know u do that with cars.. but just hook up and start the bike?

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Avi

the battery is under the sit, no fairing removal is needed. and if you let the bike sit for the winter, just take the battery out and connect it to a charger/tender.
if you have a power socket near the bike you don't even need to take out the battery.

and last and MOST important, DON'T start the car when jump starting a bike. you risk frying the electronics!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Avi
the battery is under the sit, no fairing removal is needed. and if you let the bike sit for the winter, just take the battery out and connect it to a charger/tender.
if you have a power socket near the bike you don't even need to take out the battery.

and last and MOST important, DON'T start the car when jump starting a bike. you risk frying the electronics!
thanks for that tidbit! i didn't know that about NOT starting a car. so basically keep it turned off and just connect the cable and start the bike. gotcha!

as for the battery.. i TOTALLY forgot it was under the seat!!! lol.. man im such a newb~

Old 12-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery is dead most likely. And just idling the bike does nothing to keep it charged. In fact the process of starting it (especially with HIDs) and idling will kill it if it isn't actually ridden.

Motorcycles operate differently than cars. They run entirely on the battery, while the stator (altenator) recharges the battery. The stators don't provide enough of a charge at idle. You need about 4k RPM before it begins supplying enough voltage to charge the battery. So basically just running the bike drains the battery.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Thumbs up thanks!

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Battery is dead most likely. And just idling the bike does nothing to keep it charged. In fact the process of starting it (especially with HIDs) and idling will kill it if it isn't actually ridden.

Motorcycles operate differently than cars. They run entirely on the battery, while the stator (altenator) recharges the battery. The stators don't provide enough of a charge at idle. You need about 4k RPM before it begins supplying enough voltage to charge the battery. So basically just running the bike drains the battery.
thanks for the feedback kuroshio. i kinda that was happening.. but like i mentioned before, i did it cuz i was storing it for a long time (already one month) w/o riding it.. and i read that damage from varnish is WORSE than just dead battery. not to mention all i planned doing was just practicing stuff in an empty parking lot all on first gear (dunno if i would actually hit the 4K rpm..) at most until i took some riding classes (they don't have msf courses here) and cuz it's winter so.. slippery too

but thanks for the info regardless!