CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Couple of Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Q's

Hey everyone, new here did some searching around and couldnt find an answer to my simple questions...

I have a 99 f4 just bought it yesterday, my first bike, it has around 15500 miles on it. The previous owner didnt have the owners manual so does anyone know a site that I can download it? Or should I try to pick one up on eBay?

Also after putting my bike in the garage once it was cool it smelled like gas. I dont think that its normal but its my first bike so im not sure. Its not an overpowering smell but now when you open the door to the garage you definitely can smell it.

Can you guys help me out. Thanks.

BB

Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) ebay is the best place... also pick up a service manual if you want.. but the service manual can be found as a pdf also.. but owner's manual I couldnt find..

2) did you just get gas? If so, you might have overfilled it... and it is venting out more than likely out of the bottom at the vent hose... mine never smells like gas in the garage that I can recall

Old 09-01-2010, 08:08 PM

I did just get gas. Nothing is leaking out though.

Also where is the **** to switch the tank to reserve/off/on. In the MSF course we learned that its on the left side I was looking earlier today and couldnt find it

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Official Welcome Crew

There is a **** under the tank at teh front of the seat on the right hand side.. but you dont touch it unless you are storing it..

Its a service petcock, not like many other bikes....

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Avi

I don't know if the CBR has a vacum fuel valve which can leak.
option number 2 which I actually felt on another bike is a carburator float stuck open, flowing fuel.

option 3 is the fuel pump.

over all, run your finger along any seal that might leak. a good chance you will find the source this way.

it can also be a rotten fuel line leaking on one of the sides.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search the site here or google for links to download the manual.

As for the gas smell... Its possible that when you got gas, that you may have had some go into the overflow tube. That would exit the bottom of the bike. That may be why you're smelling gas.

A note about the fuel line... The last time I lifted my tank to do maintenance, the fuel line cracked & leaked fuel. It no longer had any elasticity. A couple of bucks for a new length of fuel line solved that problem. Takes about 2 min to replace.

Actually, I'm glad it happened while doing maintenance b/c had I been on the road, in the middle of nowhere, & it ruptured, I'd have been stuck. Too, I wouldn't have wanted fuel pouring onto a hot engine til I could turn off the valve.

Hope you find your source quickly.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 PM

found a manual on the post manuals here thread lol

garage still smells like gas. Nothing is leaking on to the floor at least and it seems to be running fine. I may just be overreacting??? I will continue to search for it anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Official Welcome Crew

did you get both the service and the owner's? I think they are both there...

the fuel pump is a small black cylinder.. maybe 2 1/2 or 3inches in diameter.. it has a cover on it, but it is still a cylinder.. you can see it on teh right hand side just below the tank... smell around there... how high did you fill the tank? You should fill just to or right below the neck.. not to the cap... you might be overreacting.. who knows..

Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 PM

i have only found the service manual so far, still looking for the owners manual on here.

also i have put prob 75 miles on the bike since tuesday and the gas smell has almost gone away, i barely smell it now when its back in the garage. I think i might have just filled the tank too high although nothing came out of any of the hoses..

Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Official Welcome Crew

correction.. only found the F4i owner's manual.. I ended up getting the F4 one off ebay.. it actually has a good amount of info in it.

Quick Reply: Couple of Q's