CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

chain constantly losing tension

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain constantly losing tension

hey guys,
got a little problem my F4 my chain is constantly loosing tension. Ive had it for almost a month now and has been tightened once by a family friend but is loose again. what could be causing this? and i was wondering if anyone knew the specifications for the size of the tightening bolt and axle bolt. as i assume that to tighten all i need to do is loosen the axle bolt and tighten the the tightening bolt. tell me what you guys think. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going less than 1000 miles between adjustments, are you lubing it properly?
That's the leading cause of excessive wear. You should be lubing about every
2-3 tanks of gas or after a hard rain ride.

If the bike was used when you got it, it's probably neglect from the PO.
How close to the rear-stops are you on the chain adjusters? That's the
2 screw-bolts on the ends of the swing-arm. There is a wear/alignment scale
stamped on the sides of them. If you are close to the rear, it may be time
for a new chain (and sprockets, always change them together). They
tend to wear faster at the last.

Hope this gives you some insight, Ern

Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing on my F4 when I just bought it. In my case the chain was done and needed replacing. Check for tight spots and measure the slack at the tighest spot.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I have cleaned it twice within this month that I've had it. Put nearly 1000 miles on it. I think I will just get new chain and sprockets. The sprockets that are on now are stock...i've heard that -1 in the front and +2 in the rear are good for more of midrange power. Another question do you think i could just go with tightening and cleaning for now until winter. Again thanks guys.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Madhattr059's info.

From your posts, it sounds like you do indeed need new chain & sprockets.

IF you still have a little adjust room left, adjust per manual & check tension. If you are fully adjusted out, you need to make sure that the tension is within spec. If its past spec, i.e. too loose, you need to change them immediately.

For general street use, oem sizes 16/45 are sufficient. 16/46 is also good. If you want to do the -1/+2 change, be aware that you'll be running at increased rpm at highway speeds.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:27 AM

thanks for the quick help guys.

took it to a local shop and got it all tightened up. this will definitely be the last leg of this chain. i think im just gonna stay with the stock sprockets thanks for the insight on that. another question for ordering how many teeth will i need and does anyone recommend any brands for both the chain and sprockets.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
...Buy as good as you can afford in the way of a sports bike road use set to suit your CBR ..
This is a very wise recommendation...& is true for more than motorcycle supplies. ;-)

In addition to the RK discount...

Be sure to check out Sprocket Center . Many of us have done business w/ them & have been well served & satisfied. They have quality chains & sprockets, & do package deals as well.

Both RK & D.I.D 525 chains are factory OEM Honda. While the F4 manual suggests 110 links, I've found that 108 links are ideal (in fact, the F4i uses 108 links).

For general street use, steel sprockets are sufficient. They'll wear longer than aluminum. Currently, I'm using Honda steel sprockets but there are good aftermkt choices avail as well, such as Driven & Drive Systems, etc.

As I said in my earlier post, 16/45 (teeth) are the OEM F4 sprocket sizes. (F4i is 16/46 & is also a good choice for the F4.)

Have fun shopping! :-)

Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 PM

thanks for all the help and advice guys

alright so i used the link from gotcbr

think im gonna go with this...keeping it all stock as well

D.I.D. 525 VM2 Gold X'Ring Chain & Steel Sprocket Kit - HONDA CBR 600F4 99-00 Sprocket Center

it says it comes with the gold chain...but where do I get it to be a 108 link chain.
Thanks again guys...im be f'ed without ya!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by CBR_BULLET
...but where do I get it to be a 108 link chain.
Thanks again guys...im be f'ed without ya!
Glad we could help.

When you make your order, request the number of links you want. Of course, you can always cut to length yourself. Just be sure your count/measure twice & cut once. ;-)

Quick Reply: chain constantly losing tension