CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

CBR600F4 won't start...?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600F4 won't start...?

hey guys, wondering if any1 has any theories on why my 2000 CBR600f4 won't start.. its a track bike and has been sitting in shed for last year or so but i always start it and never had a problem.. but 2 weeks ago i went to start it and something near the battery went 'click' like the sound of a fuse or relay blowing but i checked them all (fuses) and they're fine.. after that it had no readout or anything on dash - nothing.. after a bit of fiddling i couldn't work it out so left it, then a week later i went to start it, turned the key and the dash lit up!!???.. turned it over and it went click again and lost power again??.. weird.. thought there might be a loose wire touching the frame but couldn't find anything.. now i have a guy coming to look at it this weekend and i can't even start it!.. damn!!.. please help!

Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM

Seems like just the battery is dead.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 99cbrf4600
Seems like just the battery is dead.
X2, read the voltage across the battery terminals.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Yeah I had a problem with my battery sometime last year and it did the same thing. That's all I can think of if none of ur fuses are blown.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 AM

thanks guys.. how do i read the voltage accross terminals.. i don't see how it could be the battery anyway coz as stated i had power at the dash before the first time it 'clicked' and then nothing but a week later dash lit up again the that click and nothing at the dash.. had another guy from the oz cbr site saying it could be one of the relays that has a bung coil and that once it heats up it looses continuity, opening the circuit again.. i don't understand this.. wouldn't the bike have to be running for a relay coil to heat up?.. or do they heat up with just ignition on?..

Old 09-29-2012, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Henson
Yeah I had a problem with my battery sometime last year and it did the same thing. That's all I can think of if none of ur fuses are blown.
hey mate, did yours make a click when you tried to start it like the sound of a circuit breaking or fuse blowing?.. what happened after that?.. did it turn out to be just a slightly flat battery?..

Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 PM

Maybe ur r/r is shot and can't control battery voltage right so shuts off. Worth a shot to check

Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Maybe ur r/r is shot and can't control battery voltage right so shuts off. Worth a shot to check
...have recharged battery and no change so not that but what is r/r?.. a relay?.. where is it located on bike exactly?..

Old 09-30-2012, 04:56 AM

thanks brandon.. i checked regulator/rectifier and its ok.. basically i spent all day troubleshooting which is made a hell of lot easier by having an identical cbr to cross-reference..(i always carry a spare!).. so i swapped r/r's and they're both ok.. as i did with starter relays and they're ok.. at some point the dash came on and she turned over!.. but joy was short-lived as it tripped again and then nothing.. so after disconnecting & reconnecting battery i had power and can definitely hear that the tripping circuit is the starter relay but there must be something else tripping it as the fuse has not blown once, and i swapped starters so it not the actual relay.. i checked the connectors and plugs and all seem fine.. could it be an exposed wire touching the frame somewhere?.. being a track bike there are a few things disconnected like indicators, fan, horn etc but none of the plugs are loose/touching and it has always started being like this until now.. trying not to get frustrated..actually i'm quite enjoying learning 'on the job' and the whole zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance thing, esp. knowing i'm saving hundreds of $ by doing it myself!.. going to get a voltmeter tomorrow(which i've never used) and start my course in electrical engineering!.. anyone got any tips?..

Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM

..thanks.. pretty sure there's a short somewhere causing starter relay to trip every time i start it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CBR600F4 won't start...?