CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Cbr F4 Died wont start, thoughts ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cbr F4 Died wont start, thoughts ?

Hello all,

Im currently up the creek with only my tounge to use as a paddle...

Started my cbr up before xmas to go to work, I normally give it a moment to warm up before shutting the choke off, went up the road left at a junction and it spluttered and died on me. I started it back up and it would sit on idle but if i tried to open it up it died, the longer it ran the weaker it got.

Before all this the bike ran perfectly and had been servcied that summer.

Now my first thoughts was fuel. After draining my tank and float bowls there wasnt even a drop of water in there, the tank breather was clear all the hoses to the airbox were connected.

I then looked at the fuel pump, as i drained the float bowls I flicked the ignition and turned the engine over a bit, went to drain the bowls and there was fuel back in them.

whilst i had the bike in bits i noticed the wire from the immobiliser had wrapped itself around the ignition and when i full locked left was pulling on the cable.

After turning it over some more on a fully charged battery it wasnt firing at all. I swapped the key over to a spare which also has a chip and it fired up, but again if i tried to open the throttle it would try to die and after 20 seconds of limping into life it died again.

Ive now got the front fairing hanging off, but I cannot get the immobiliser off of the ignition without stripping the screws and the other end of the plug is still connected.

The bike lights up everything works as it should apart from it running.
Ive changed the reg/rec and cct in 2010 and I checked to see if it charges the battery while I was at the swapping key stage which it did. It wasnt that cold but temperature has never stopping my cbr working.

How can I test the immobiliser to see if thats working properly?

Has anyone got any ideas ?

Its a CBR f4 1999(fx)

Ive owned the bike for a good 3 years and its never had any problems.

Luke

Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

test the pink wire at the ecm, you should get around 9.3v. Other than that I would need to burn some gray matter on it before I could help. Seems this problem is cropping up a bit lately so you could look through the rest of this page and maybe the second one to see if there is any more info.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM

I've just had a similar problem with my 99 fx. Took the whole fuel system apart to clean, swapped the relays and still the same. Turned out to be an intermittent fault with the fuel pump. Have you got anyone nearby with the same bike to swap pumps with just to check, or a breaker's yard, should get one for about £30 or equivalent dollar value.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM

unfortunatly my brother sold his fs last year.. Intermittent fuel pump would explain why it felt like it had ran out of fuel and died when i opened it up, and again when it randomly stared and would only sit on idle till it died.

That said I went back to my parents to steal my battery and a charger ( currently there for the sick gsf 600 were working on ) and the Hiss light comes on then turns off like normal, so I'm guessing its not the hiss ignition or the key..

Its a bit dark when i get in from work to strip tanks and rear fairing off but I'll try to get the relays off and have a look at the fuel pump at the weekend.

Flicking the ignition on and off, I cant hear it priming.. Not that I can remember if it makes a noise its been a more than a while since it was ridden. I can hear solenoids clicking but no gentle whine.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 AM

The quick get me home fix is to bypass the fuel pump.

Plug the carb fuel pipe in to the fuel supply pipe. ( IE - bypass the fuel pump )

If she runs OK then pump is scrap.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM

Ok so after a long and freezing day of testing. the immobilizer works fine, all 4 coil plugs are working, the plugs were worn so I've changed them, air filter has been serviced, the fuel pump defo primes on a key turn, all the relays click apart from the cuttoff relay, connecting the pump to the battery gets it to pulse. Im thinking bad cuttoff relay...

Ordering one tonight and ill see.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Did you ever test that pink wire?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM

Just a thought, but mine was doing almost exactly the same thing, test for power going in and out of the relay when running, mine would prime with the key but not when running turns out it was a loose wire connection in the plug for the relay.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM

Ok so today the relay turned up and it did nothing.. So I went from top to bottom with the Haynes testing the electrics of the both relays, and it was all fine, reading battery voltages and continuity where apropriate the only think that was wrong was the black and blue in the transfer relay I believe, testing it to ground there was no cont. Which the Haynes suggests a knackered fuel pump. After a battle with it I rigged it up with a moto tank and straight to a fresh battery and it wont run.. fuel trickles out each time I connect power but it won't run once connected. Ill post a video later tonight. Now I have to see if the shop will take a relay back inexchange for a pump..

Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM

I just got my running, (saturday) its currently in my parents garage.
I couldnt get mine running either. Heres what i did:
-changed the plugs
-changed the fuel filter
-made sure all the hoses were connected.

Tryed to fire it up.
Got nothing.

Shot some starter fluid in it.
Fired up but died.

Turns out i didnt have any fuel in the fuel filter?!
So i manually added fuel into the fuel filter.
My pump would always "prime" when i turned the ignition on.

After adding fuel to the filter, the bike fired up and the pump would turn on, it makes a vibration if u put ur hand on it.

Give it a shot, worked for me =).

Quick Reply: Cbr F4 Died wont start, thoughts ?