CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

brake caliper cleaning & rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper cleaning & rebuild

if you clean your brakes what is the set you need to do it the seals and what not.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clarify...

Are you asking about a caliper rebuilt or just cleaning pads & rotors or...???

ETA: just to clean/wipe off rotors & pads, you can use brake-cleaner or mineral spirits. I routinely use mineral spirits to clean my rotors...simply wipe w/a blue shop paper towel.

Last edited by gotcbr; 04-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Clarify...

Are you asking about a caliper rebuilt or just cleaning pads & rotors or...???

ETA: just to clean/wipe off rotors & pads, you can use brake-cleaner or mineral spirits. I routinely use mineral spirits to clean my rotors...simply wipe w/a blue shop paper towel.
More like a rebuild they need a good seeing to after looking at them. I mean what do I need in that case will I just need four seals two for each caliper or is there other things I need all the hoses and everything else are working well.
It's the front caliper pistons they se to be not in sync with each other there all coming out a different rates soni thought by cleaning them it would sort the problem.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if the pistons are sticking, they most likely are bit rusted. Many times in cars, that have thick brake pads and that are not driven much the outer end of the piston rusts, and when the pad finally wears out, and the piston is pushed all the way back in, it seizes there. If the caliper is of splittable kind, there is an o-ring in the channel where the halfs meet. The best solution would be to buy a full brake gasket set since you're going to put it in pieces, there's no point in putting any old ones back there. Pull the pistons, if not rusted bad, they can be CAREFULLY cleaned using very fine grit sandpaper, or more preferrably one of those scrub-pads. If there are any dents in the piston sleeve caused by corrosion, that's a way for the fluid to escape, and it will tear your new gaskets, so replace pistons if need be. The bleeder valves are really soft metal and crap cheap so i normally replace those too if there is any deformation in the part where you should be turning it from. Get a can or two of brake cleaner and spray it inside and out, cleaning any rust and crap from the calipers, then let thorougly dry, preferrably blow the channels with compressed air. Replace every gasket, apply a film of fluid onto the piston seals before putting the pistons in, push them in as straight as you can, they normally stick if they are not pushed perfectly straight in there, re-assemble, put in new pads, bleed, test, ride. No big deal, over on an hour or two.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Oh, and while you're at it, replace the fluid too, really easy to do since the system is in pieces anyway. If the hoses looks ok, no point in changing those.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 AM

Cheers mattson sounds like an easy job to do ill have a look at get a gasket set for the brakes then. I have on of those pads so I'll use that aswell. Thank you

Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Remember to be very careful in rubbing the pistons, any scratch is a way for the high-pressure fluid to escape, also if you rub it enough to either deform it's roundness or diminish it's diameter it will not be tight enough against the seal, and it will leak. A light scrub should not do that yet, judge yourself when you see the pistons are they in a condition to be salvaged, or need replacing. But as a job, it's not a hard one to do.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mattson
Remember to be very careful in rubbing the pistons, any scratch is a way for the high-pressure fluid to escape, also if you rub it enough to either deform it's roundness or diminish it's diameter it will not be tight enough against the seal, and it will leak. A light scrub should not do that yet, judge yourself when you see the pistons are they in a condition to be salvaged, or need replacing. But as a job, it's not a hard one to do.
Thanks again mattson just been looking and I cannot seem to find a gasket set for the brakes do you know what I would
I know I need the dust seals for both calipers and you said about the bleed nipples, is there anything else last thing I want to do it start a job then find I need to wait seals.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 AM

Sorry, can't help you there... I've been, so to speak, pissed in the eye a couple times in Inet deals so I tend to rather pay a little extra to my parts dealer and have them find and order them, cause then if something is amiss, i have someone to point at...

Bleed nipples are something that at least here, You can get from any auto-parts dealer and from most service stations too, just get the old one, show it to them and say x-number of these, please... The regular ones cost from 10c to a couple of euros here, and as a Trucker, i have a big assortment-box of those and grease-nipples in my garage...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Well you have been a great help thank you I shall take a look around and Ask my dealer andy local bike shop see if they can get any bits for me. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: brake caliper cleaning & rebuild