CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike dying at High speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike dying at High speeds

same problem as good_grazy, i have no idea whats going on. I have tryed everything, im taking it to the shop on monday.

[/align]

Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM

I think my problem is related to some relay for the fuel pump, because normally the pump will come on for one or two seconds then shut off when the key is initially turned on, but now it doesnt. I have tested the pump to see if it works by hooking it up strait to the battery and it spins, so the pump isnt bad i dont think. So i have come to the conclusion that it is a relay, butwhat relay controls that initial start up then the turningon of completepower when it is over a certain speed (20mph) is the question i think.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM

I did some more looking into mine this afternoon and determined that it is most likely the 5 pin fuel pump transfer relay. This was determined by checking the pins (Bl/W wire)for voltage when the key was on and the switch was on. There was power for both Bl/W wires, so there must be power to the relay. From one of the other links on the forum (search fuel pump in the F4 section) I found out that the fuelpump is turned on for a couple seconds first then only at above a certain speed. I checked for voltage at the fuel pump when it is initially turned on an got no voltage. I ordered the relay and air filter today and will see if I am right as soon as it gets here.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM

see man i already replaced the fuel relay switch, if that is what your talking about. But it still sounds like we have teh same problem. Anytime i go over 45 my bikes dies. Let me know man

[/align]

Old 04-29-2008, 11:00 PM

I dont know then, that was my best idea for now. I guess I will keep checking other electrical stuff, but it does sound like we have the same problem, so if I can get mine to work I will let you know what I find out. Good luck and keep me updated with anything you figure out.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:39 AM

hey followmatt, does your fuel pump ever turn on? The bike will run without the fuel pump wired up, i was just curious cause mine never does.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 AM

what would keep the fuel pump from getting power?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 AM

i replaced a pump twice thinking it was that... it wasnt.
it may also be that your rectifier went out or isnt working properly. (this happened to me too). when its at low speeds or at idle etc in the garage it would run and run no problems but once reved up a bit it doesnt put out enough power to charge the battery and run the bike. (stock ones are known to get too hot and die). you can use a volt meter on the terminals to check the output at the various rpm's.
(make sure your battery is good too of course)
you should be reading at 13.5+ volts (but not over 15).... if its over/undercharging, replace it with an aftermarket one with fins and make sure the back is grounded well to disperse heat.... i actually installed a small computer fan on mine to keep it cool.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 AM

My fuel pump turns on when i turn the key. I think thats what it is anyways. It makes like two clicks then i dont hear anything else? Is that what it sounds like?

[/align]

Old 04-30-2008, 05:51 PM

yeah, just a couple clicks initially then ist is supposed to turn on when you are above 20km/hr. Have you checked to see if the speed sensor wire is unattached, i dont know exactly where it is, but it should be somewhere by the gage cluster, its P/Y according to the manual.

Hey frankmackie, will the bike not rev if the rectifier is bad. I can still drive mine around town and it will rev like normal??

Quick Reply: Bike dying at High speeds