CBR 600F4 1999 - 2000 Honda CBR 600F4 Forum

Bike dying at High speeds

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike dying at High speeds

I have a 2000 cbr f4, it has been dying at high speeds or anytime it is ran hard. If i am just riding around town it will run fine. But anytime i go to get on it or go over forty the bike starts to bog down, then just dies. All the lights will still be on but my bike will die. I pull over wait a sec and the bike starts right bike up. I have had it to three different shops. One told me it was the fuel pump. So i replaced that and my bike still did the same thing. Another told me it was the fuel filter, replaced that it still does the same thing. Took it to the honda shop they said fuel relay switch. Replaced that and she still dies. Just got a new cdi box and she still dies. Guys i need some help here. Also i had the carbs cleaned and everything.

[/align]

Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Bike dying at High speeds

Have you pulled the plugs and looked at them?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM

I just ran into the same problem today, bike, 1999 F4,had a hard time starting at first but ran great for a little while then it just died. I waited for about 5 minutes put it on full choke (bikeshowedabout 1/2 way on the temp gage,so it should have been warm enought tostart without)and it started just fine. It took me 4 or 5 time of stoping to get home. I ordered a fuel filter today and am going to try that before the other more costly alternatives. I will also check the plugs this weekend. Let me know what you find out.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:01 PM

The plugs are fine, i just took all my fairings off and the main air duct on the right side was not connected.It might be the problem, i am going to check it our tomorrow.

[/align]

Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM

keep us posted!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM

I dont know it the air duct would do that or not I rode mine with out any of them on it, my guess was the fuel filter but that was'nt it so I dont know.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:06 PM

this is a common problem for cbr owners... i spend big money replacing everything i could think of and still had the same problem. truth is, some zip ties fixed it!!!! yeah thats most likely it.

there is an air solenoid valve in front of your bike just under the front of the tank on the inside of the frame where the triple tree is. it hooks into the air box and ultimately the carb barrels. It also has an electric plug on the left side... look near the spark plug wire harnes on the left.. just below that is the electric hook up into the wire harness. it is feed by two tubes in front of your bike near the ram air ducts and just underneath the headlight.

1. make sure that electric connectionis hooked up properly
2. check in the tubes in front!! they must be pointed forward in the best possible air stream.. these tubes and solenoid equalize the back pressure in the bottom of the carbs and often fall down or get unplugged and essensially,, your bike will just flook out and stall

i changed out a part on mine and the tubes dropped, i delt with this for months!!
i have a particular hard time with mine because i have a high flow air fliter, jetting, full exhaust etc.

good luck... spread the word! aftersomeone pointed me in this direction (from the forum...who i cant thank enough)i have helped many with the same problem.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 PM

ps: instep #2, if the tubes arent in a full air stream, zip tie them so they are!

(you may need to test your air solenoid valve to ensure its working properly, those instructions are in a work manual for the bike)

Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 AM

hey man thanks for the help... i do think the tubes that hook up to the nose are not hooked up right! My bike was dropep before so they will not go in correctly. I rode it without the front on and it did not die once. I put it back on and ride it it died twice within 5 mins.

[/align]

Old 04-28-2008, 12:47 PM

I checked the tubes on my bike and then took it out for another ride, it was fine at low speeds, but as soon as I was over 45 it started to stall out and die. Any other ideas? I've checked the battery, spark plugs, fuel filter, the air solenoid valve, the fuel pump. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike dying at High speeds